Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace: electric ignition sparks but won't light gas.

My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the
gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas
lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long.
Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The
ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was
just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Thanks,
*m

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sneaky Mandy wrote:
My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the
gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas
lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long.
Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The
ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was
just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Thanks,
*m

obviously a problem with the pilot or pilot assembly.... you need a gas
man to come look at it...only he can check for proper pressure and
determine if the orifice needs cleaning and or replacing....

you need a repairman.... fooling around with the pilot is
dangerous....it is a safety device....

call the gas company...they wont charge you an arm and a leg to repair
this minor problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sneaky Mandy" wrote in message
oups.com...
My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the
gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas
lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long.
Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The
ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was
just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Could be a clog in the orifice that feeds the gas to the igniter. Could be
low gas pressure. If a simple light brushing of the gas opening does not
fix the problem, call for service and have a pro look at it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sneaky Mandy wrote in message
.com...
My furnace's electric ignition sparks continuously but won't light the
gas... unless I blow on it! Then, as soon as I blow on it, the gas
lights and the furnace works fine. However, this never lasts long.
Once the gas turns off, it's the same problem all over again. The
ignition sparks but won't light. It will ignite if I blow on it (was
just an accident that I blew on it but it worked.)

Thoughts, anyone? My landlord can't figure it out either.

Your landlord doesn't need to figure it out, he/she needs to call
someone to fix it IMO.

Cheri