A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » Home Repair
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 2nd 06, 06:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

I have a Kenmore dryer model no. 110.96588210 (11 years without a
single failure - up until now).

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped heating. Quick troubleshooting revealed a
broken heating element. I replaced it, took out all lint from that
internal area and everything seemed to be working again.

But after a week, I heard the motor attempting to perform its last turn
and then... shut-off. Thereafter, any attempt to restart the dryer,
will sound a motor trying to rotate something that is mechanically
stuck.

Indeed, during this "lucky week" in which I had the dryer working, I
heard the drum beating about once every rotation. I told my wife: "uh
oh, I think the ball bearings are gone.".

However, I have no clue wether indeed the ball bearings are gone or
whether it even this model has ball bearings.

Theoretically, yes - the motor could have gone - but my hunch tells me
it is not the motor, but rather some kind of a mechanical problem.
Moreover, when I try to rotate the drum by hand, it does not rotate
easily at all...

Any tips or ideas about how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!

Ads
  #2  
Old November 2nd 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate


wrote:
I have a Kenmore dryer model no. 110.96588210 (11 years without a
single failure - up until now).

About 2 weeks ago, it stopped heating. Quick troubleshooting revealed a
broken heating element. I replaced it, took out all lint from that
internal area and everything seemed to be working again.

But after a week, I heard the motor attempting to perform its last turn
and then... shut-off. Thereafter, any attempt to restart the dryer,
will sound a motor trying to rotate something that is mechanically
stuck.

Indeed, during this "lucky week" in which I had the dryer working, I
heard the drum beating about once every rotation. I told my wife: "uh
oh, I think the ball bearings are gone.".

However, I have no clue wether indeed the ball bearings are gone or
whether it even this model has ball bearings.

Theoretically, yes - the motor could have gone - but my hunch tells me
it is not the motor, but rather some kind of a mechanical problem.
Moreover, when I try to rotate the drum by hand, it does not rotate
easily at all...

Any tips or ideas about how to further troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks!


Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.

-paul

  #3  
Old November 2nd 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

wrote:

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.


Wow! Paul, thank you so much for your quick answer. Indeed it helped me
progress with my troubleshooting: I removed the lint filter assembly (I
have what repairclinic.com calls "Electric Whirlpool Style Version 2")
and was able to look closely at the various mechanical parts. There was
A LOT of lint & hair still remaining there...

So, I removed some of it and especially cleaned the rollers. I
reconnected to see whether it changes anything and, sure enough, the
motor runs and rotates the drum.

However, this "beating noise" is till there and I know this is a sign
for a more serious failure waiting to happen... (the last thing I want
is a burning motor).

So, I think I will take your advice and while at that replace whatever
needs to be replaced.

One question, though: How do I access the back roller? My arms are
relatively short and I was having hard time reaching the back roller
for lint removal, which means I will need more clearance to reach that
part. Do I have to remove the drum? What is the proper way to do so?

For your reference, I am providing a URL to a drawing that is
remarkably identical to my dryer:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_16.asp

Thanks!
Sam

  #4  
Old November 2nd 06, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate


wrote:
wrote:

Open the unit and look at the belt, maybe broken, but most likely the
roller/rollers need to be replaced. I did mine about 4yrs ago. I
don't think it cost alot and it was simple to do. While you have it
apart I would replace the rollers and the belt. This is what I did and
I think the dryer was about the same age. The dryer is still running
and we bought it back in 1985.


Wow! Paul, thank you so much for your quick answer. Indeed it helped me
progress with my troubleshooting: I removed the lint filter assembly (I
have what repairclinic.com calls "Electric Whirlpool Style Version 2")
and was able to look closely at the various mechanical parts. There was
A LOT of lint & hair still remaining there...

So, I removed some of it and especially cleaned the rollers. I
reconnected to see whether it changes anything and, sure enough, the
motor runs and rotates the drum.

However, this "beating noise" is till there and I know this is a sign
for a more serious failure waiting to happen... (the last thing I want
is a burning motor).

So, I think I will take your advice and while at that replace whatever
needs to be replaced.

One question, though: How do I access the back roller? My arms are
relatively short and I was having hard time reaching the back roller
for lint removal, which means I will need more clearance to reach that
part. Do I have to remove the drum? What is the proper way to do so?

For your reference, I am providing a URL to a drawing that is
remarkably identical to my dryer:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0100_16.asp

Thanks!
Sam


You'll just have to pay attention to how the unit comes apart, but I
beleive I took the drum out. Once out, I then replaced the rollers.
Like I said, it's a simple job, but pay attention to how the unit comes
apart and put it back together the way you took it apart.

I'm 99.99% sure it's the rollers. My dryer was banging also and I
replaced the rollers. Take the part number down to a shop for the
replacement parts. Then, with parts in hand, take the machine apart
and put it back together.

-paul

  #6  
Old November 3rd 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate


wrote:
wrote:

You'll just have to pay attention to how the unit comes apart, but I
beleive I took the drum out. Once out, I then replaced the rollers.
Like I said, it's a simple job, but pay attention to how the unit comes
apart and put it back together the way you took it apart.



Thanks again, Paul. One little tip I need he How do I take the drum
out? The front cover of this dryer has two screws holding it at the
bottom, which I managed to remove without any problem. However, the top
part of this front cover (which seems connected to the drum) seems to
be held to the rest of the unit by some "invisible screws or clips".

Any idea?

Thanks,
Sam


On my Kenmore, after you remove the lint assembly the top swings up.
Two clips hold the back of the top on, just remove then and swing the
top out of the way. I think I removed the top completely. I then
beleive I removed the thin belt which helped to remove the drum. I
don't remember what else was holding the drum in. But once the drum
was out the rollers were right there and came out without any problem.
Sorry, it was awhile ago when I did this, but if you continue to have a
problem I'll go down and take the cover off of mine.

-paul

  #8  
Old November 3rd 06, 12:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 24
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate


wrote:
wrote:
On my Kenmore, after you remove the lint assembly the top swings up.
Two clips hold the back of the top on, just remove then and swing the
top out of the way. I think I removed the top completely. I then
beleive I removed the thin belt which helped to remove the drum. I
don't remember what else was holding the drum in. But once the drum
was out the rollers were right there and came out without any problem.
Sorry, it was awhile ago when I did this, but if you continue to have a
problem I'll go down and take the cover off of mine.


OK - got it. It turns out that the console needs to be removed first,
because it hides 3 screws that hold the top to the frame at the back.
Once these 3 screws were removed, I had no problem sliding the top
towards the front and take the top out completely. I think I passed the
only serious hurdle here (tricky).

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate your help.

Sam


So, how did you make out? All apart, repaired, and put back together?

-paul

  #10  
Old November 3rd 06, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Kenmore dryer's drum won't rotate

wrote:
Unfortunately, I celebrated too early: While I was able to take out the
drum and confirm that the 2 back rollers are indeed stuck (due to lots
of lint & hair in there), I found no easy way of accessing the nuts at
the back that will allow me to remove them...

The back seems to be covered by yet another cover and removing screws
that seem to hold the back cover to the back frame doesn't help much
because... it seems like that two back parts are "glued" together. I am
afraid to do more damage than good, so I am back here, to consult
regarding what do in such case.


OK - I found the "trick": There is no way around this without removing
the drum completely. I was afraid to even touch the belt, but once I
decided this is the right thing to do I simply did it, paying attention
to how the belt was placed around the bottom pulley, so that I remember
how to replace it.

Once the drum was out, I had access to the rollers and boy how stuck it
was: not only it was full of lint & hair, it was also stuck to the
shaft (I mistkanely called it "axel" earlier"). I used acetone to clean
all this stickents and now the rollers turn like new. There is no need
to buy new ones, so I saved about extra $50.

Now I have to put everything back. We'll see how this goes. I am
documenting here every step, so that others like me who google for a
solution, will find this. I decided to start fixing my appliances
myself after SEARS charged me $239 for 20 minutes replacing the fan in
my Kenmore refrigerator... I think that even a Ph.D. doesn't earn that
much as an hourly rate...

Thanks,
Sam

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing A Drum Support Roller On Kenmore Electric Dryer ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 May 14th 06 02:48 PM
Kenmore Dryers 80 series [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 12th 05 02:27 PM
Kenmore Electric Dryers == JUNK??? mikegi Home Repair 8 November 2nd 05 09:31 PM
2003 Consumer Reports Best Buys for your home T.T. Home Ownership 13 March 24th 04 08:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.