Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Winter Prep

With winter just around the corner here in the great white north
(Canada), had two quick winter preparation questions, would love any
advice.

1. Is it better to bring patio furniture inside or can I just throw a
tarp on it? This includes the chairs and table... and yes I'm asking
because I don't have a shed or a lot of room to spare in the garage.

2. I have 2 sets of noma moonray lights outside, electric and not the
solar stuff. Was a pain to install all of them, do I have to dig them
out and bring them in or are they pretty safe out there during the
winter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
1. Is it better to bring patio furniture inside or can I just throw a
tarp on it? This includes the chairs and table... and yes I'm asking
because I don't have a shed or a lot of room to spare in the garage.

That's fine, if your local regs allow it. We bring the chairs in and just
leave the table out untarped.

2. I have 2 sets of noma moonray lights outside, electric and not the
solar stuff. Was a pain to install all of them, do I have to dig them
out and bring them in or are they pretty safe out there during the
winter?

Not familiar with that type, but assuming these are plain ol' "Malibu
lights" that's fine.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

1. Is it better to bring patio furniture inside or can I just throw a
tarp on it? This includes the chairs and table... and yes I'm asking
because I don't have a shed or a lot of room to spare in the garage.

Mine has been outside with a tarp for about 20+ years now. It has vinyl
straps that support he cushion. They will get brittle when cold so don't
sit in them if you happen to be outside. They are OK when warm again. They
have to be replaced avery four or five years anyway.

2. I have 2 sets of noma moonray lights outside, electric and not the
solar stuff. Was a pain to install all of them, do I have to dig them
out and bring them in or are they pretty safe out there during the
winter?

Should be OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If it's easy and you have room, I'd bring the furniture inside. The
less anything is exposed to the weather, the longer it's going to last.
As for covering it with a tarp, IMO, I wouldn't. One problem is tarps
trap moisture, which can be worse than leaving it exposed. The other
is tarps take some work to do right, and unless done right, have a
nasty habit or blowing off, or even worsepartially blowing off,
flapping in the wind, possibly damaging the furniture.

The lights are not worth bothering with, given the trouble involved.