Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cracking Concrete/Pool

I had some concrete laid around my swimming pool (~1200ft), that is
cracking at almost every expansion joint and a few large cracks around
the pool steps and diving board.

What is the best way to repair this? I had the concrete laid in March
of this year and it's been through the summer. Should I wait for it to
go through the colder months and then have it repaired?

I plan on getting someone to lay down decorative concrete (pool deck
design) on top of this concrete.

What's the best approach?

Tks

Posted to alt.home.repair

No problem with too much freezing. I'm in Northwest FL, so doesn't get
too cold here. I was just wondering if I should try to seal up the
cracks in the concrete or leave it alone for a while as you suggest?

NSN wrote:
On 29 Oct 2006 17:10:15 -0800, wrote:

I had some concrete laid around my swimming pool (~1200ft), that is
cracking at almost every expansion joint and a few large cracks around
the pool steps and diving board.

What is the best way to repair this? I had the concrete laid in March
of this year and it's been through the summer. Should I wait for it to
go through the colder months and then have it repaired?

I plan on getting someone to lay down decorative concrete (pool deck
design) on top of this concrete.

What's the best approach?

Tks

I am having a local company resurface my deck later this month to the
tune of $11,000. Same problem as yours but mine is 18 years old and
the cracks have stabilized. Mine have been stable for about 4 years.
It is an expensive project so, in my opinion, the longer you wait, the
better off you will be .. unless water freezing in the cracks could
cause problems. I am in a desert area where freezing is not a problem.

You might want to wait another year or so. During that time carefully
observe the cracks to make sure they are not enlarging. Even though
the resurfacing material is somewhat flexible it cannot hurt to make
sure the concrete has done its thing as far as cracks are concerned.

Norm

Posted to alt.home.repair
NSN NSN is offline

If you try to seal the cracks the stuff you use might interfere with
the repair material that the restorer will use. I tried one crack
about 3 years ago. It did not work and looks terrible. "They" will
grind out the crack, fill it with some sort of epoxy, grind the
surface flat and then use a fiberglass mesh to cover it prior to the
resurfacing .. this is for the larger cracks.

NSN wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

And the only suitable thing in my mind to do would be to re-lay all the
concrete (which is probably something they will not be willing to do).
I still have not paid them for the concrete job ($5000). His answer
was "Concrete will crack, there's nothing that can be done about it".
My only issue is that EVERY expansion joint has cracked and I have
spalling and those 2 large cracks in the cement already.

So, the only thing I could think of would be one of the following:

1. Redo the job (probably not going to happen)

2. Repair cracks and put a decorative coating on top (since the repair
will not look that good after they are done.

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
wrote:
I had some concrete laid around my swimming pool (~1200ft), that is
cracking at almost every expansion joint and a few large cracks around
the pool steps and diving board.

What is the best way to repair this? I had the concrete laid in March
of this year and it's been through the summer. Should I wait for it to
go through the colder months and then have it repaired?

I plan on getting someone to lay down decorative concrete (pool deck
design) on top of this concrete.

What's the best approach?

Tks

I would get the company back to your house NOW.

It's their problem and you should tell them so. I'd get the paperwork
to take his contractors license from him for such a rotten job.

No way should it be cracking.

Stick up for the money you paid! Better yet, forward the paperwork and
the phone number, I'll take them on for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
NSN NSN is offline

It certainly would not hurt to contact the State Contractor's License
Board and have them look at it. If they say that it was not properly
done, it will have to be re-done. If not, nothing lost except a bit of
time.

NSN wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Whatever you do, don't pay him another red cent!

My patio is cracked (50 yr old) and I am tiling over it. It's 77 cents
per square foot.
I figure I can do the entire project for $400 (300 sq ft and grout.)
Tiling is a DIY now that there are spacers. That little piece of
plastic eliminates that journeyman.

Mrs. Clean

MRS. CLEAN wrote:
wrote:
[...]

self leveler from home depot installed on gypsum sub-floor now cracking [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 27th 06 07:52 AM
Cracking grout Bob Home Repair 5 July 11th 06 10:31 PM
Old cracking caulk? Ablang Home Ownership 2 August 24th 04 03:39 PM
Travertine Tile Cracking .. HELP! NSN Home Repair 8 December 13th 03 02:16 PM
Grout cracking Jill Home Repair 22 August 24th 03 08:01 PM