DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Concrete weep holes (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/180869-concrete-weep-holes.html)

srazor October 29th 06 09:59 PM

Concrete weep holes

A customer has a brick flower box 3x3' that does not drain water (no weep holes) Do I drill them through the mortar joint or brick? Do I need to insert PVC pipe to line the weep holes to prevent freeze damage? TIA

Scot

[email protected] October 29th 06 11:14 PM

Concrete weep holes

professorpaul wrote:
You will need a tungsten carbide bit. It is easier to go through the
mortar, as it is likely softer. I see no need for a piece of tubing
myself. The key is the drain holes... make enough of them!

yeah add garden hose to confirm it drains.the more holes the better, in
mortar is fine although a couple thru the block is a good addition too,
so the blocks cant fill with water and freeze, if your in a area that
gets cold.

are you certain the bottom isnt open somehow?

[email protected] October 30th 06 07:08 PM

Concrete weep holes

srazor wrote:
A customer has a brick flower box 3x3' that does not drain water (no
weep holes) Do I drill them through the mortar joint or brick? Do I
need to insert PVC pipe to line the weep holes to prevent freeze damage?
TIA

Always drill thorugh the mortar, not the brick: mortar can repaired
easily, while a destroyed brick would need to be replaced entirely.

The PVC won't help so don't waste your time with it. Old time weep holes
would be made with a simple length of cotton rope laid in the bottom of a
mortar joint to wick out moistu the cotton would eventually rot away
but that wouldn't matter. Today, masons frequently leave one butt-joint
completely free of mortar and put in a metal vent to keep out insects
while allowing out water.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.