Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running Board Requirements

I've searched around and checked where I could think of in the NEC. Are
there any particular requirements for the size/composition for
crawlspace running boards? I'm rewiring my entire house (built in
1940s, rewired by a previous owner - its a NIGHTMARE!)
I've seen recommendations to use 2x4s. Is this a requirement, or
preference? What about using something smaller?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 10:30 pm, wrote:
I've searched around and checked where I could think of in the NEC. Are
there any particular requirements for the size/composition for
crawlspace running boards? I'm rewiring my entire house (built in
1940s, rewired by a previous owner - its a NIGHTMARE!)
I've seen recommendations to use 2x4s. Is this a requirement, or
preference? What about using something smaller?

There is no requirement that you even USE "running boards". I assume
you are running cable and not pipe? The only thing the NEC requires is
that the cable be "adequately supported", using staples or clips
"listed" for the application. As a rule, support romex every 4 feet,
and stretch it tight so that there are no sags or loops.

Hope this helps!

Glenn Grundberg
http://www.goalelectrical.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, wrote:

On Oct 31, 10:30 pm, wrote:
I've searched around and checked where I could think of in the NEC. Are
there any particular requirements for the size/composition for
crawlspace running boards? I'm rewiring my entire house (built in
1940s, rewired by a previous owner - its a NIGHTMARE!)
I've seen recommendations to use 2x4s. Is this a requirement, or
preference? What about using something smaller?

There is no requirement that you even USE "running boards". I assume
you are running cable and not pipe? The only thing the NEC requires is
that the cable be "adequately supported", using staples or clips
"listed" for the application. As a rule, support romex every 4 feet,
and stretch it tight so that there are no sags or loops.

Article 334.15(C) specifically requires running boards when installing NM
cable smaller than #6 across joists in an unfinished basement. Whether this
applies to crawl spaces as well, the Code doesn't appear to specify, but I
think I'd want to check that out with the local electrical inspector first.

My local area uses the 2002 version of the NEC, which seems to specify
that for all 'exposed work'. This would seem to include crawl spaces,
although there is some room for interpretation there.
It seems that the only place I could get away with NOT using a running
board to cross joists would be if there were already a ceiling in place
and no way to access the wire for replacement. I'll just play it safe
and pick up some 1x4 planks at home depot.