Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Furnace smokes

I have had my furnace worked on and cleaned (twice now), but there was
some junk
in the lines ( after oil delivery) so I ended up changing the nozzle
my self (after unit cut off a few times).
I had a few weeks of cleaning or changing nozzles, but it
seems to be running better now.
The unit calls for a 1.0 gph 80 degree type A, but I used a type W
because the guy at hardware store said it was ok to use.
Is this correct?
The problem I'm having now is that when the heat comes on and
the unit runs for a while, smoke is coming out near the chamber
somewhere.
Would the wrong nozzle cause this?
It is a delvan nozzle.

This is a Columbia Boiler with a becket burner.

Thanks for reading.

Posted to alt.home.repair

K_man wrote:
I have had my furnace worked on and cleaned (twice now), but there was
some junk
in the lines ( after oil delivery) so I ended up changing the nozzle
my self (after unit cut off a few times).
I had a few weeks of cleaning or changing nozzles, but it
seems to be running better now.
The unit calls for a 1.0 gph 80 degree type A, but I used a type W
because the guy at hardware store said it was ok to use.
Is this correct?
The problem I'm having now is that when the heat comes on and
the unit runs for a while, smoke is coming out near the chamber
somewhere.
Would the wrong nozzle cause this?
It is a delvan nozzle.

This is a Columbia Boiler with a becket burner.

Thanks for reading.

Mine did that when a bunch of 20 year old soot in the chimney fell into
the firing chamber. It was vacuumed out and the burner did not blow
smoke out anymore. I should have paid attention to the soot particles
that fell over everything outside whenever the burner kicked on. I
bought a chimney sweep kit after that and cleaned the whole chimney,
which produced a half garbage bag full of soot.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY

Oil Furnace smokes K_man Home Repair 15 November 1st 06 12:42 AM
Purchasing Furnace - 2-Stage Variable vs. Standard pipco Home Repair 21 January 27th 06 01:48 PM
Help. Furnace improperly installed? Chuck Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 02:26 AM
Clueless Inspector Faults Furnace Install Hell Toupee Home Repair 3 October 8th 04 06:47 PM
Furnace problems - repair, replace or ???? Paul Home Repair 11 March 24th 04 12:59 AM