Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy refrigerator

I have determined that the compressor is the cause of my noisy
refrigerator. It clunks as it turns on & off. What effect does this
have upon the operation of the refrigerator other than being noisy?
Can this cause higher than normal electricity consumption?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Check the rubber motor mounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 2:37 pm, "professorpaul" wrote:
Check the rubber motor mounts.

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nuallain wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:37 pm, "professorpaul" wrote:
Check the rubber motor mounts.

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.

loose IN the compressor or ON it?

how easily can you shake the compressor? the ones i've seen are real
solid.

maybe the rubber moutns are fine, the the barckets and such the mounts
are attached to may have lost a bolt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 27, 5:24 pm, "Tater" wrote:
Nuallain wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:37 pm, "professorpaul" wrote:
Check the rubber motor mounts.

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.loose IN the compressor or ON it?

how easily can you shake the compressor? the ones i've seen are real
solid.

maybe the rubber moutns are fine, the the barckets and such the mounts
are attached to may have lost a bolt.

It sounds like there is something rattling around INSIDE the
compressor. As far as bracket on the outside of the compressor; would
those typically be near the top? The only thing I can find are the 4
rubber motor mounts and their associated screws at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 27 Oct 2006 20:06:10 -0700, "Nuallain"
wrote:

On Oct 27, 5:24 pm, "Tater" wrote:
Nuallain wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:37 pm, "professorpaul" wrote:
Check the rubber motor mounts.

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.loose IN the compressor or ON it?

how easily can you shake the compressor? the ones i've seen are real
solid.

maybe the rubber moutns are fine, the the barckets and such the mounts
are attached to may have lost a bolt.

It sounds like there is something rattling around INSIDE the

Take a one to three foot stick, I suppose hardwood is best but I'm
sure you can use lots of other things, and hold it near your ear or on
that flap and put the other end a variety of places until you track
down the noise with more certainty.

I doubt this is wasting much electricity, if any, no matter what the
problem. IF you can fix it before the compressor gets loose and
catches and kills the cat, you should, but otherwise, you can use it
until it breaks. I'm pretty sure it will break a little earlier if
this noise is still there. I am not a repairman.

compressor. As far as bracket on the outside of the compressor; would
those typically be near the top? The only thing I can find are the 4
rubber motor mounts and their associated screws at the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Oct 2006 12:18:34 -0700, "Nuallain"
wrote:

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.

The compressor inside the canister has four rubber grommets that are
snucked onto four springs welded to the floor of the canister. The
compressor is thus suspended in the middle of the canister for noise
and vibration isolatation. One of the grommets must have popped off a
spring. This can happen if you laid the fridge flat when you moved
house. The canister is sealed. This grommet problem cannot be
repaired. With time the power cord inside the canister will fracture.
Then its a new fridge for you. With one grommet out of anchor the
compressor motor will twist due to the start-up torque and hit the
side of the canister. Clunk. Same thing when the compressor motor
stops. The torque will cause the motor to hit the canister wall
again. Clunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In A/C compressors, there can be a mechanical thermal cutout, sometimes w/ a
spring, that can come loose. There is a spring-loaded cap over this, that
can be removed w/ some difficulty.
If you have a similar deal, you might just have to scrap this item, and jump
it out electrically. No big loss.

Inyone notice how quiet the very old round-fridges (Kelvinators et al) were?
Like watches.
Much quieter than this tin stuff today. The compressors themselves were
whisper-quiet--quieter, even!
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not much. Eventually, the fridge will stop cooling.
I don't know about the energy consumption. but nearly anything you do
increases the energy.

Start budgeting for the replacement fridge.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Nuallain" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have determined that the compressor is the cause of my noisy
refrigerator. It clunks as it turns on & off. What effect does this
have upon the operation of the refrigerator other than being noisy?
Can this cause higher than normal electricity consumption?

Thanks.

"Flood" Problem in Refrigerator [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 16th 06 12:05 PM
"Flood" Problem in Refrigerator [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 16th 06 12:05 PM
GE refrigerator warranty repair misery [email protected] Home Ownership 6 March 13th 05 04:29 AM
refrigerator Very noisy B Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 01:17 AM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM