Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:
Some cooking stores sell a flat, thick metal disk with a handle on it. Its
purpose is to diffuse the flame so it's easier to simmer.

lacking that, get a nice heavy iron skillet... same diffuse, and is
great to use.

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 21:35:38 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

Why would a gas oven light the house on fire any faster than an electric
one?

I have come across lots of house fires started by candlelit dinners
and parties, by candlelit ranges, flame warmed fondue pots and of
course by gas ranges. I won't have an open flame anywhere in my
house. No cigarette smoking. Its just one of those safety and peace
of mind things. If its not there I don't have to worry about it or
have to make allowance for it (as in safety practices I have to take
into account when I light a candle.) I bet this Halloween will see
several house fires from candlelit pumpkins.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://forums.vugames.com/servlet/Ji...nny%20fart.jpg

Light a match, Ed!

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Sidney4 " wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I've had gas for 58 years

I'd hate to be around you, when you let loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:56:10 -0600, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

I suppose you have electric heat also eh? What a waste.

In my original post I said gas heating is the only gas equipment I
will have. Its fast, clean, cheap and practically maintenance free.
My hot water heater is gas too. These two items of equipment are well
shielded and safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I suppose you have electric heat also eh? What a waste.

In my original post I said gas heating is the only gas equipment I
will have. Its fast, clean, cheap and practically maintenance free.
My hot water heater is gas too. These two items of equipment are well
shielded and safe.

Gas hot water heaters can trigger explosions if they are mounted on the
floor.

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair

I love the speed and heat of gas but I will never have such an
appliance in my house, except the gas furnace. An open flame is too
risky in a frame built house. The possibility of a gas leak is also
dangerous - a house destroying explosion or gas poisoning.

I know what you mean. Every night I come home and there's another
neighbor of mine whose house blew up.

I know I
may be unecessarily alarmist. But on two occassions I did leave my
2000 watt range element at max for the hours when I was not at home.
A similar mistake like that with a gas range would have left me with
no home to come home to.

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric
range.

When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle
on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely
forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning.
The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was
pretty thick aluminum.

No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
ups.com...
I love the speed and heat of gas but I will never have such an
appliance in my house, except the gas furnace. An open flame is too
risky in a frame built house. The possibility of a gas leak is also
dangerous - a house destroying explosion or gas poisoning.

I know what you mean. Every night I come home and there's another
neighbor of mine whose house blew up.

Same here. My neighborhood's down to 3 houses, where there used to be about
70 just a year ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Larry Bud" wrote:

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric
range.

Ummmm... do you really think that electric burners get as hot as a gas flame?

When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle
on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely
forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning.
The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was
pretty thick aluminum.

It may have *burned* a hole in the bottom...

No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Sorry, but your reality check just bounced.

Aluminum melts at 660 C.
The temperature of a natural gas flame is approx 900 C.
[http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html]

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 05:52:12 -0800, Nick Hull wrote:

Gas hot water heaters can trigger explosions if they are mounted on the
floor.

Remove yours then. I am very comfortable with mine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article . com, "Larry

Bud" wrote:

Why not? There would be an open flame, no hotter than your electric
range.

Ummmm... do you really think that electric burners get as hot as a gas flame?

Confined, electric heat gets much hotter than an open flame.

Really?

Ever
hear of curtains catching fire above an electric heating element?

No.

Gas forced air or hydronic?

Huh?

When I was in an apt, I had an electric range that I had a tea kettle
on. The damn whistle on the kettle didn't work, and I completely
forgot about it. About 20 minutes later I smelled something burning.
The electric range MELTED a hole in the bottom of the kettle. It was
pretty thick aluminum.

It may have *burned* a hole in the bottom...

No, it'll melt it.

No way the gas range could have melted the aluminum.

Sorry, but your reality check just bounced.

Aluminum melts at 660 C.

If it burned the aluminum it would ba a tad hotter than 660C! It
would have been quite a sight, if anything was left to see.

The temperature of a natural gas flame is approx 900 C.
[http://www.doctorfire.com/flametmp.html]

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know. There's
plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced. The
temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting point of
aluminum.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen it done, an empty lightweight aluminum frying pan forgotten that
melted on a gas burner. It didn't run like water, but it melted a hole and
sagged. Lucky it was outside on a propane camping stove or it could have
damaged something else as well. The heat from a kitchen stove burner,
whether propane or natural gas would be quite similar.

I have used electric stoves a few times and I have no doubt they would melt
an aluminum pot or pan as well.

Either one can easily start a fire if misused.

But gas does cook better!

--

Mike S.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , krw
wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article . com,
"Larry

Bud" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 12:28:56 -0500, Seymour Bigby-Heinz
-stuff wrote:

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:37:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
roups.com...
I love the speed and heat of gas but I will never have such an
appliance in my house, except the gas furnace. An open flame is too
risky in a frame built house. The possibility of a gas leak is also
dangerous - a house destroying explosion or gas poisoning.

I know what you mean. Every night I come home and there's another
neighbor of mine whose house blew up.

Same here. My neighborhood's down to 3 houses, where there used to be about
70 just a year ago.

My own house has blown up 12 times already today!

Were you in it?

Sy

Posted to alt.home.repair

And I think that is the whole point. the stove is there for cooking, not
leaving empty pots on. There's a reason restaurants use gas and not pansy
assed electric burners and ovens.

--
Steve Barker

"Mikey S." wrote in message

Either one can easily start a fire if misused.

But gas does cook better!

--

Mike S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know. There's
plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced. The
temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting point of
aluminum.

I propose an experiment. Who's got a $5.00 aluminum pot and
a gas stove they don't mind scarring up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Goedjn" wrote in message

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know. There's
plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced. The
temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting point
of
aluminum.

I propose an experiment. Who's got a $5.00 aluminum pot and
a gas stove they don't mind scarring up?

It wouldn't matter. Miller will still want the last word on the subject.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message
.. .

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know. There's
plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced. The
temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting point
of
aluminum.

I propose an experiment. Who's got a $5.00 aluminum pot and
a gas stove they don't mind scarring up?

It wouldn't matter. Miller will still want the last word on the subject.

You just can't *stand* it when I know something you don't, can you?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"Goedjn" wrote in message
. ..

Well ventilated; not confined under the kettle.

Under a kettle on a gas burner isn't exactly "confined", you know.
There's
plenty of room for air to enter. I repeat: your reality check bounced.
The
temperature of a natural gas flame is *much* higher than the melting
point
of
aluminum.

I propose an experiment. Who's got a $5.00 aluminum pot and
a gas stove they don't mind scarring up?

It wouldn't matter. Miller will still want the last word on the subject.

You just can't *stand* it when I know something you don't, can you?

--
Regards,

I haven't said a word about melting pots and evil stoves. I'm just watching
this silly debate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Yesterday, our large Whirlpool self cleaning oven quit working. That is,
the electronic panel on it went black, and the latch that holds it shut
during cleaning engaged partially. We can still open it with a fork, but
the oven or clock or electronics won't work.

Call the guy. $80 for someone to come out and tell us what's wrong.

Needs two fuses, the guy says. About $20 per, and another $60 for the
service call. He doesn't fix things, just gives estimates.

Today, the guy comes and says it will be $275 MORE to fix the thing. We say
we'll get back to him when he faxes us a written bid. No intention of
getting back to him.

The friggin thing can be replaced for $600. They want $355 to fix this.

Steve, maybe this is a clue to simplify your life. We have a new, but
very
simple and traditional gas stove/oven. Knobs for turning the burners
on and
off, and we clean the thing ourselves when needed. The thing probably
didn't
cost as much as what the guy wanted to fix yours.

-- Magnetic motor 1, the static magnetic field 1) Motor [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 October 3rd 06 02:21 PM
req adv: handheld dsl line tester tg UK diy 20 September 7th 06 11:24 PM
Friedland wireless door bell doesn't work - wrong battery? [email protected] UK diy 4 March 3rd 06 11:07 AM
Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 01:04 PM
Compressor Motor: HP v.s. Amps? Chuck Metalworking 81 October 15th 03 05:03 AM