Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size bin? related question

I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and
dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe
and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was
full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get
ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000
lbs.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...

I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and
dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe
and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was
full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get
ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000
lbs.

How much it weighed depends on how they
weighed it -- full and empty, as for gravel trucks?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and
dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe
and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was
full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get
ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000
lbs.

Cam

14 yards = 378 cubic feet. Pine is about 40 pounds a cubic foot so if it
was packed solid, it would be about 15,000 pounds. Plaster is probably over
90 pounds a cubic foot. If it was 10% plaster, that is3800 pounds right
there.
Sounds like you got the right price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

If there's a "penalty weight" over 4000, then I would suspect they
deliberately chose that weight as a pricing trick. Something close to, but
below, what the typical user requires. Kind of like leasing cars with free
miles that are below what most people drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and
dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe
and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was
full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get
ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000
lbs.

Cam

When they billed you extra they should have provided the dump ticket, at
least the ones around here do. If they didn't, ask for it, your entitled to
it before paying for it. All the landfills around here give you weight in,
weight out tickets, thats how they bill the dumpster companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message

If there's a "penalty weight" over 4000, then I would suspect they
deliberately chose that weight as a pricing trick. Something close to,
but
below, what the typical user requires. Kind of like leasing cars with
free
miles that are below what most people drive.

Why do you suspect that? I've loaded plenty of containers that are much
larger than that with much less weight. Depends on your use. They should
tell you up front what the deal is and you plan accordingly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brian V wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I filled a 14 yard bin with the tear-out waste from a kitchen and
dining room. It contained the cabinets, laminate counter and the lathe
and plaster from the walls and ceiling for a 10x20 room. The bin was
full to the top. I was charged extra for being overweight. Did I get
ripped off? The maximum weight allowed was 4000 lbs. They said I had
4500 but I don't believe them.

How much do you think it weighed? I would have guessed less than 3000
lbs.

Cam

When they billed you extra they should have provided the dump ticket, at
least the ones around here do. If they didn't, ask for it, your entitled to
it before paying for it. All the landfills around here give you weight in,
weight out tickets, thats how they bill the dumpster companies.

They offered to fax me a copy of a dump ticket but how would I know it
was mine? I can see being overweight if I was excavating or tearing
down brick but a kitchen/dining room can't weigh that much in my mind.
I'm going to switch companies, I just can't trust these guys.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
They offered to fax me a copy of a dump ticket but how would I know it
was mine? I can see being overweight if I was excavating or tearing
down brick but a kitchen/dining room can't weigh that much in my mind.
I'm going to switch companies, I just can't trust these guys.

The ticket will have a time stamp, possibly the container number. The
ticket is made out by the company receiving the load, not the trucker.

Figure the weight. Just the plaster alone from the walls can be 2000
pounds. Did you take down the ceiling also? Add another 600 pounds. Now
it is sounding more like they are correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Figure the weight. Just the plaster alone from the walls can be 2000
pounds. Did you take down the ceiling also? Add another 600 pounds. Now
it is sounding more like they are correct.

Don't bother -- the OP is convinced they've been ripped off, and came here
for us to rubber-stamp their premade opinion. No amount of convincing is
going to change that. Another innocent company gets blackballed.

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tim Fischer wrote:
Figure the weight. Just the plaster alone from the walls can be 2000
pounds. Did you take down the ceiling also? Add another 600 pounds. Now
it is sounding more like they are correct.

Don't bother -- the OP is convinced they've been ripped off, and came here
for us to rubber-stamp their premade opinion. No amount of convincing is
going to change that. Another innocent company gets blackballed.

-Tim

Perhaps you're right Tim but what company was that?

Cam