Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Greasy popcorn!

Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

I have no idea, but if you have a small out of the way place to try
something, I think I would try a foam roller with ammonia followed
quickly be a dry roller to get the grease. Plus all the usual warning
about safety glasses and ventilation....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

I woould try the kilz over the grease. I have painted over dirty paint
with Kilz and had no problems. Might take a couple o' coats.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

The best primer might be 3/8" drywall. Not sure you'd want
to keep a textured ceiling over a kitchen anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
ups.com...

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

The best primer might be 3/8" drywall. Not sure you'd want
to keep a textured ceiling over a kitchen anyway.

For people who come from a culture of perennial suffering, textured ceilings
like seeing the image of the virgin mary in their container of cream cheese.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

wash it with a paintbrush, with very light strokes. preferably a LONG
bristled paintbrush. VERY time intensive, but should work. Did a
similar process on some other textured stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raider Bill" wrote in message

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

I don't blame you, but that may be the best in the log run. Not much sticks
to grease very well.

How about washing with a scrub brush on a pole? What comes off stays off,
the rest gets painted. Then you'dhave a smoother texture for next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 23 Oct 2006 13:39:54 -0700, "Raider Bill"
wrote:

Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

The other ideas may be better, and I've never done this, but what
about putting a tarp down on the floor etc, and spraying some kind of
cleeaner on the ceiling.

Later you can take the tarp outside and let the rain clean it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

Raider Bill wrote:
Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free
of grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

The best primer might be 3/8" drywall. Not sure you'd want
to keep a textured ceiling over a kitchen anyway.

For people who come from a culture of perennial suffering, textured
ceilings like seeing the image of the virgin mary in their container
of cream cheese.

Oh, is that who it was. Thought it was Madonna. Didn't have my glasses
on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

If this is going to be a rental unit for any length of time,
this is as good a time as any to swap the ceiling treatment
for something that's easier to maintain. Do they still make
that white-coated masonite? That stuff cleans fairly easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tenants just moved out [forced eveiction] they must have deep fryed
everything without ever opening a window. Now all walls and ceilings
not to mention fans are coated with grease.
Fans are down to be cleaned, walls have been tsb'd but what about
popcorn ceiling? I can't wash it. Painter friend suggested a bonding
primer. Kilz says for grease stains but then says area must be free of
grease.

I don't want to scrape this ceiling............................

If this is going to be a rental unit for any length of time,
this is as good a time as any to swap the ceiling treatment
for something that's easier to maintain. Do they still make
that white-coated masonite? That stuff cleans fairly easily.

I'm with you, Goedjn, Bill, get rid of the popcorn and either have
the ceiling replastered or find another solution. Room will look
much classier.