central AC keeps blowing fuses

Old October 23rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default central AC keeps blowing fuses

A few days ago my AC stopped working; I noticed that the fuse had
blown, so I replaced it and it immediately blew again. Everytime I
turn the AC on the fuse blows (quite spectacularly; one time a spark
flew out into the air, but since the glass cover hadn't broken I don't
know how that happened), and since Not sure exactly what to do now.
Two of the fuses actually are breaking now, the one that handles the
cooling (not sure whether it's for the condenser or the evaporator) and
the one that handles the fan, though the fan's fuse doesn't blow every
time, just occasionally now.

I called the AC guy and he said I should call an electrician, which I
guess I'll do, but I wanted to consult the experts here and see what I
should expect them to do and how much it should cost. I live in Miami
so it has to be done (it's October and my apartment still gets to 95
degrees during the day without AC), but, I live in Miami, so there's a
great deal of shadiness here on the part of some contractors and I'm
worried I might get taken for a ride.

These are 30 amp S-type fuses, so as far as I can tell I can't really
go any higher. But since the fuse ran fine for about 2 years I'm
figuring this problem goes deeper than the fuse box itself.

So, any idea what could suddenly be causing this? Will an electrician
have to open up walls at all? Is there anything I can do to narrow
down the problem before I call?

Old October 23rd 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

wrote:
[...]

First off, it's an apartment. So call maintenance.

Second off, DO NOT CONSIDER GOING WITH A HIGH NUMBERED FUSE UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES.

If it's a plug-in type. Unplug it and then replace the fuses. See
what happens.

If it's a built-in A/C, turn it off at the thermostat (or set the AC to
some all the way up so it doesn't come on). Then replace the fuses.

See what happens and post the answers here.

Old October 23rd 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:

First off, it's an apartment. So call maintenance.

Second off, DO NOT CONSIDER GOING WITH A HIGH NUMBERED FUSE UNDER ANY
CIRCUMSTANCES.

If it's a plug-in type. Unplug it and then replace the fuses. See
what happens.

If it's a built-in A/C, turn it off at the thermostat (or set the AC to
some all the way up so it doesn't come on). Then replace the fuses.

See what happens and post the answers here.

Thanks for the response!

Unfortunately it's a condo so I'm responsible for that sort of stuff.

It's a built-in A/C; there's a switch on the part of the unit inside
the apt so I can turn it off manually. When it's turned off nothing
happens to the fuse; as far as I can tell there's nothing else on those
lines other than the AC unit and the AC fan, so nothing should be
drawing power other than the unit itself. The fuse blows only when I
turn the AC unit back on.

Old October 23rd 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pat wrote:

[...]

Gee, if it is a stalled compressor, the fuse should not blow like the 4th of
July. The short circuit (based on your report of fireworks) seems to be
inside of the A/C unit itself. An electrician is not what you need ... you
need an AC service company.