Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loud Plumbing Noises

Hey Everybody!
I'm having some weird and very loud plumbing noises. It started with
the toilet and now is basically throughout the house. Sorry for the
description, but the noise sounds like a trombone--off key
A few minutes ago, I was sitting outside on the patio and could hear
the noise out there. There was no water running--washer, faucets, etc..
So I Googled and here I am asking for advice.
I would appreciate any advice. This is my first time doing anything
with home repair. May I ask that you put any advice into simple words?
Thank you very much,
Peep

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Peep" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Everybody!
I'm having some weird and very loud plumbing noises. It started with
the toilet and now is basically throughout the house. Sorry for the
description, but the noise sounds like a trombone--off key
A few minutes ago, I was sitting outside on the patio and could hear
the noise out there. There was no water running--washer, faucets, etc..
So I Googled and here I am asking for advice.
I would appreciate any advice. This is my first time doing anything
with home repair. May I ask that you put any advice into simple words?

As a flush valve begins to turn off, a trombone-like vibration is often
heard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Peep wrote:

Hey Everybody!
I'm having some weird and very loud plumbing noises. It started with
the toilet and now is basically throughout the house. Sorry for the
description, but the noise sounds like a trombone--off key
A few minutes ago, I was sitting outside on the patio and could hear
the noise out there. There was no water running--washer, faucets, etc..
So I Googled and here I am asking for advice.
I would appreciate any advice. This is my first time doing anything
with home repair. May I ask that you put any advice into simple words?
Thank you very much,
Peep

You were on target with the toilet.

Certain brands of toilet tank fill valves will create
a "fog horn" (trombone if you prefer:-) sound as the
valve closes. The valve closure is actually a chattering
which resonates with the rest of the plumbing in the house.

There are repair kits for those fill valves (ballcock)
but the novice may be better off replacing the whole valve.
Ask at a friendly hardware store or BigBox.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peep wrote:
Hey Everybody!
I'm having some weird and very loud plumbing noises. It started with
the toilet and now is basically throughout the house. Sorry for the
description, but the noise sounds like a trombone--off key
A few minutes ago, I was sitting outside on the patio and could hear
the noise out there. There was no water running--washer, faucets, etc..
So I Googled and here I am asking for advice.
I would appreciate any advice. This is my first time doing anything
with home repair. May I ask that you put any advice into simple words?
Thank you very much,
Peep

My house (plumbing??) makes the same sound, but it can be hours since
anyone used any water, from any source. The sound was so loud, I
initially thought there was some construction going on, right outside
my house. The sounds last about 20 seconds, can happen any time of the
day (usually twice a day), and "seems" to be the loudest from the
basement, under the main floor bathroom. That's what makes me suspect
the toilet. But again, it may have been hours since it was last used.

I'm going to try to catch the next noise event in time to flush the
main floor toilet, and see if I get a reaction. Any other suggestion??

Thanks in advance

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might try googlin' for water hammer. That's what the banging, groaning,
etc. is called in plumbing
--
Strube
Professional Firefighter, amateur everything else I