Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace underwater pool light bulb- Safe ?

There is a underwater light in my pool in a circular fixture
that looks like a headlight on an old car .It has stopped
working. I am told that these are low voltage and the bulb
( if that is the problem) can be changed underwater without
draining the pool.
Anybody have any first hand experience with this ?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Yes. Make sure the breaker's off, reach down there with a screwdriver,
and remove the screw(s). Pull the entire unit up to the surface,
unscrew the plate that holds the bulb and gasket, take the bulb
out(should be a press-fitted base), and take it to the shop for an
exact match. It should come with new gasket, too. It's pretty
self-explanatory, really. Tom
parangles wrote:
There is a underwater light in my pool in a circular fixture
that looks like a headlight on an old car .It has stopped
working. I am told that these are low voltage and the bulb
( if that is the problem) can be changed underwater without
draining the pool.
Anybody have any first hand experience with this ?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

I have changed a few in my time and found that they are not low voltage.
That is correct about not emptying your pool. There will be one or two
screws holding the whole light fixture in place. Once you unscrew these, the
whole water sealed fixture can be taken out of the pool to change the bulb.
There is enough wire coiled behind the fixture to enable you to take it out
of the pool.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"parangles" wrote in message
ps.com...
There is a underwater light in my pool in a circular fixture
that looks like a headlight on an old car .It has stopped
working. I am told that these are low voltage and the bulb
( if that is the problem) can be changed underwater without
draining the pool.
Anybody have any first hand experience with this ?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

The fixture is water tight and should float if you've correctly re-installed
the gasket.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all. Couldn't remove the screws - heads are all chewed up,
and I was lying on my belly, so I will have to drain out a few feet of
water
to get at them and extract them somehow- drill them out the head maybe,
and use a vise grip on the stump.
Cheers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

parangles writes:

Anybody have any first hand experience with this ?

Possibly you have a contact, wiring, or transformer problem, and that the
bulb is fine.

Check that the niche and via aren't leaking before you reassemble:

http://www.truetex.com/pool.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

parangles wrote:
Thanks to all. Couldn't remove the screws - heads are all chewed up,
and I was lying on my belly, so I will have to drain out a few feet of
water
to get at them and extract them somehow- drill them out the head maybe,
and use a vise grip on the stump.
Cheers.

Another possibility is using a pneumatic drill under water.

bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

parangles wrote:
Thanks to all. Couldn't remove the screws - heads are all chewed up,
and I was lying on my belly, so I will have to drain out a few feet of
water
to get at them and extract them somehow- drill them out the head maybe,
and use a vise grip on the stump.

I don't know how you can do this underwater unless you have a pneumatic tool,
but back in my aviation maintenance days, we'd take a circular dremel tool to a
buggered up screw head and cut a slot in it, then use a slotted screwdriver to
get the screw out. It worked on airplanes; it might work for you.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"parangles" wrote:

There is a underwater light in my pool in a circular fixture
that looks like a headlight on an old car .It has stopped
working. I am told that these are low voltage and the bulb
( if that is the problem) can be changed underwater without
draining the pool.
Anybody have any first hand experience with this ?
Thanks

It could be 12V light but with a high amperage. Think of you car battery can 24V.
You can get a pretty nasty jolt from its.

Last summer I had a similar problem after a lot of testing I found out that a
relay connected to the lamp was malfunctioning and the lamp itself was OK. I had
to go thought a lot of wires before finding that out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The 'reamed out screw head" turned out to be a
perfectly good ss hex/allen key bolt. The whole unit is held
on with 2 tabs at the bottom and the one hex screw at the top.

The bulb is low voltage - cant read it but its 2 digits and the first
is a 1 so its probably 12 volts, and it looks like 100 watts.
The gasket had failed and the enclosure was full of water.

The whole fixture is very primitive and looks like it was
designed about 50 years ago. I might upgrade the whole
thing depending on the cost.

Thanks to all.