Toilet rocks when you sit on it?

Old October 19th 06, 06:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet rocks when you sit on it?

I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Old October 19th 06, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

If you have a wood subfloor, you should treat the water leak with great
urgency. I'd wager that a little bit of water is leaking out with each flush
(after a 'lot of activity' enough leaked water has built up to leak out from
under the toilet). Since you have tile, you will most likely find a rough
cutout around the flange (the toilet's drain hole in the floor) where some
subfloor is exposed, which will inevitably suffer from water damage.

Tile sometimes causes sealing problems because of it's thickness and
standard wax rings aren't always enough to bridge the gap between the flange
and the toilet base. Use an extra thick ring, or in an extreme case (thick
tile like travertine on top of 1/2" concrete backerboard on top of wood
subfloor) you may have to stack rings.

Old October 19th 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

First, the wax ring is shot and needs to be replaced and any water
damage evaluated.

I heard a pro plumber recommend using pennies to shim toilets on uneven
tile floors (uneven tile, not uneven floor, which is a bigger problem).

-rev

wrote:
I have a toilet set on tile. When you sit on it it moves forward a tad,
when you get off it rocks back to its resting posistion. I also notice
when it sees a lot of activity, a small amount of water comes out of
the front section where the base meets the tile.I have checked the nuts
and they are tight. I assume the tile is not level and this is the
problem? Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
Little black rocks coming up into toilet. [email protected] Home Repair 16 February 18th 06 03:20 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM