Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheesecloth-like layer on walls

Hello, group,

We are buying a house that has wallpaper everywhere imaginable. In one
room however, only one wall had wallpaper, and the other three had some
kind of cheesecloth layer. This is a 1960's house. I've heard that
before they'd put canvas/cheesecloth on walls to make them smoother for
wallpaper. Do you think this is it? If it is, would I remove it like
regular wallpaper or are there special techniques? Should I expect
this cheesecloth layer behind the wallpaper everywhere else? I'd like
to tear down the wallpaper and paint the walls. In the room that has
this cheesecloth stuff, should I remove it, or would the primer/paint
cover the cheesecloth texture?

Thank you,
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:

Hello, group,

We are buying a house that has wallpaper everywhere imaginable. In one
room however, only one wall had wallpaper, and the other three had some
kind of cheesecloth layer. This is a 1960's house. I've heard that
before they'd put canvas/cheesecloth on walls to make them smoother for
wallpaper. Do you think this is it? If it is, would I remove it like
regular wallpaper or are there special techniques? Should I expect
this cheesecloth layer behind the wallpaper everywhere else? I'd like
to tear down the wallpaper and paint the walls. In the room that has
this cheesecloth stuff, should I remove it, or would the primer/paint
cover the cheesecloth texture?

Thank you,
Elana

Most likely, you are going to find cheesecloth behind the
other wallpaper as well. That is an old method of
wallpapering that was used back in the old days. It is
applied with tacks over shiplap walls (solid wood). When you
remove the cheesecloth, you are going to find the shiplap,
which does not have an even surface. You can paint it, but
there are gaps between each board and these will stand out
with paint.

I have seen these types of walls sanded down and stained, but
that is labor intensive and expensive. Just removing all the
tacks will be a job in and of itself.

Take down a wall of the cheesecloth and look at it. You are
the only one that can decide what you can live with.

In most cases like this, we have installed drywall over the
shiplap and then taped and floated, textured, then paint.
This also repairs the drafty quality of these kinds of walls,
as the gaps between the shiplap allow quite a bit of air and
sound through the walls, especially on exterior walls.

I like the shiplap walls because they are solid wood. This
makes installing drywall a breeze and you can hang a picture
or cabinets anywhere, without having to look for studs. The
insulation may be another issue that you have to look into,
however, as these walls are often uninsulated.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
In most cases like this, we have installed drywall over the
shiplap and then taped and floated, textured, then paint.
This also repairs the drafty quality of these kinds of walls,
as the gaps between the shiplap allow quite a bit of air and
sound through the walls, especially on exterior walls.

Robert, thanks for your reply. Do you think the thinnest (1/4")
drywall will be enough, or would we need to put up something thicker?

Thanks,
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

"elanamig" wrote in news:1161273069.096581.43190
@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Robert Allison wrote:
In most cases like this, we have installed drywall over the
shiplap and then taped and floated, textured, then paint.
This also repairs the drafty quality of these kinds of walls,
as the gaps between the shiplap allow quite a bit of air and
sound through the walls, especially on exterior walls.

Robert, thanks for your reply. Do you think the thinnest (1/4")
drywall will be enough, or would we need to put up something thicker?

I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also,
Should we just save ourselves the time and put up drywall over the
wallpaper, or do we need to remove the wallpaper/cheesecloth anyway,
for hygenic or other reasons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo wrote:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

This looks like it's 1/4" drywall from HomeDepot (Enter your area
code, then clicked "Select st ore" on the first store listed on the
right, and you'll see the item. I tried my area code, and 90210 as
well, and got this product at both locations)

http://contractorservices.homedepot....e-71bdd3f9052e

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

First you may want to open up a small hole in the wall the ensure that there
are boards behind the wallpaper and to determine if there is insulation. If
no insulation you may want to take steps to either open up the wall to
insulate or drill holes in each cavity to blow in insulation or have foam
injected.

If the walls are truly wooden boards with multiple paper/cloth coatings,
then I would drywall over the whole lot. This will cover the holes made for
insulation. If there is crumbling plaster, particularly plaster reinforced
with horsehair that is decaying, you may want to strip down to the frame
where insulating and vapor barrier will be an easy installation.

"elanamig" wrote in message
oups.com...
Also,
Should we just save ourselves the time and put up drywall over the
wallpaper, or do we need to remove the wallpaper/cheesecloth anyway,
for hygenic or other reasons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

In most cases like this, we have installed drywall over the
shiplap and then taped and floated, textured, then paint.
This also repairs the drafty quality of these kinds of walls,
as the gaps between the shiplap allow quite a bit of air and
sound through the walls, especially on exterior walls.

Robert, thanks for your reply. Do you think the thinnest (1/4")
drywall will be enough, or would we need to put up something thicker?

Thanks,
Elana

If you check, you will find that 3/8" is cheaper than 1/4",
and 3/8" will bridge the irregularities better. In answer to
your other question in another post, you do not have to remove
the wallpaper or cheesecloth to hang the drywall.

The issues you will have will be the trim. We address this
two ways. The best (but of course the most expensive) is to
remove all of the trim, install the drywall, then install jamb
extensions at windows (if wood trimmed) and doors. Then
reinstall trim and base. This gives you a good long lasting
result that will last as long as any other similar wall system.

The other method is to leave the trim in place and run the
drywall up to it. Tape and float the drywall, then caulk the
drywall to trim. This is not as satisfactory because the
caulk may fail in places and have to be maintained. Also, you
must be much more precise with your drywall installation. In
addition, it takes most of the 3 dimensional look that your
trim provides, leaving you with a flatter wall detail.

A lot of what you do will depend on your budget and your
tastes. Some older (thin) trim may be difficult to remove and
reuse, so that may also be an issue. Alot of the older homes
had 1x4 or 1x6 trim and base, so if you have that in your
home, removing and reusing it is not usually an issue.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"elanamig" wrote in
ups.com:

GoHabsGo wrote:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

This looks like it's 1/4" drywall from HomeDepot (Enter your area
code, then clicked "Select st ore" on the first store listed on the
right, and you'll see the item. I tried my area code, and 90210 as
well, and got this product at both locations)

http://contractorservices.homedepot....ductInfo.aspx?
cid=854185&pid=269f681e-27d6-406b-816e-71bdd3f9052e

I stand corrected. Pretty soon they'll be making houses out of paper
alone!
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Ugh... You're right. Some rooms have new windows too, so I'm not
sure how much of the DIY job this is... For the rooms that have old
windows (which will be replaced eventually), would I be able to go the
caulk route temporarily, and then extend the drywall once the older
windows are removed?

Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:
[...]

Sure you could, but you'd not like to see what's involved later in
extending
the drywall up to the window jambs. Just not practical, IMHO.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:

[...]

Sure. You can do anything you want. Rather than extend the
drywall, you could come up with a window size and a trim
detail that extends over the newly installed drywall and
eliminate the problem that way. If you are talking about
windows that require a wrapped jamb (wrapped with drywall),
then my suggestion will not work, of course.

Most older windows (double hung, wood) will have
counterweights behind the trim. Newer wooden windows do not
use the counterweight system, so the windows can be wider,
taking up the space of the counterweights. If you can do this
(and some of this is determined by your exterior wall
covering), then the same size trim will reach over and cover
the drywall that you installed.

I hope this makes sense, because it is rather difficult to
explain, but easy to see.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:

Sure. You can do anything you want. Rather than extend the
drywall, you could come up with a window size and a trim
detail that extends over the newly installed drywall and
eliminate the problem that way. If you are talking about
windows that require a wrapped jamb (wrapped with drywall),
then my suggestion will not work, of course.

Most older windows (double hung, wood) will have
counterweights behind the trim. Newer wooden windows do not
use the counterweight system, so the windows can be wider,
taking up the space of the counterweights. If you can do this
(and some of this is determined by your exterior wall
covering), then the same size trim will reach over and cover
the drywall that you installed.

I hope this makes sense, because it is rather difficult to
explain, but easy to see.

Robert, thanks again for a great answer. It's a bit difficult for me
to visualize at this moment. However, if all goes well with the
closing (today), in a few days we'll go there and really look/poke
around, so I'll have a better understanding of what
materials/challenges there are, and I'll surely be back to this topic!

I appreciate the great details you're giving! Thank you!
Elana

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Oct 2006 16:54:28 GMT, GoHabsGo wrote:

"elanamig" wrote in
oups.com:

GoHabsGo wrote:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

This looks like it's 1/4" drywall from HomeDepot (Enter your area
code, then clicked "Select st ore" on the first store listed on the
right, and you'll see the item. I tried my area code, and 90210 as
well, and got this product at both locations)

http://contractorservices.homedepot....ductInfo.aspx?
cid=854185&pid=269f681e-27d6-406b-816e-71bdd3f9052e

I stand corrected. Pretty soon they'll be making houses out of paper
alone!

I;m pretty sure that 1/4" drywall is intended as a veneer over
damaged walls, and/or in layers around a curve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:
Robert Allison wrote:

[...]

No problem. By the way, here is a site that has some good
photos of an old double hung window showing the counterweights.

http://www.bergersonwindow.com/BERGE...0WINDOWS .htm

By looking at these, you can see that without the
counterweights, the window can extend to both sides (thus
moving the trim over), so you can cover the drywall.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

GoHabsGo writes:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

[...]
I stand corrected. Pretty soon they'll be making houses out of paper
alone!

heh...
I've heard of 1/4" being used in a few ways:
1: dampen two layers and ease into curves for arched application.
2: use as replacement "scratch" coat where you plaster over the entire
wall.
3: Bulking up 1/2 drywall for fire/sound proofing
4: evening out a badly damaged/cracked but stabilized wall.

I'm sure there are other uses.

I don't think anyone is considering using a single 1/4" layer as an
exclusive wall covering!

--
May no harm befall you,
flip
Posted to alt.home.repair

Philip Edward Lewis wrote:
GoHabsGo writes:
I've never heard of 1/4" drywall. Around here, 1/2" is the standard.

[...]
I stand corrected. Pretty soon they'll be making houses out of paper
alone!

heh...
I've heard of 1/4" being used in a few ways:
1: dampen two layers and ease into curves for arched application.
2: use as replacement "scratch" coat where you plaster over the entire
wall.
3: Bulking up 1/2 drywall for fire/sound proofing
4: evening out a badly damaged/cracked but stabilized wall.

I'm sure there are other uses.

I don't think anyone is considering using a single 1/4" layer as an
exclusive wall covering!

We're considering 1/4" drywall to cover up existing wallpaper if it
cannot be removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Asked the owners at the closing today what their walls were made of,
and they said - plasterboard, which, as I read right now, is the same
thing as drywall... So, if they're correct, why on earth would they
put cheesecloth over drywall???

Anyway, we're going to try to pull some wallpaper/cheesecloth stuff off
to see what's behind it... Somehow it seemed like such an easy
project, and now I'm dreading it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:
Asked the owners at the closing today what their walls were made of,
and they said - plasterboard, which, as I read right now, is the same
thing as drywall... So, if they're correct, why on earth would they
put cheesecloth over drywall???

Probably because they really don't know. Many homeowners have no idea
what their walls are like, even if they've lived there for 10 years or more.

Anyway, we're going to try to pull some wallpaper/cheesecloth stuff off
to see what's behind it... Somehow it seemed like such an easy
project, and now I'm dreading it.

Anyway, my suggestion is to go with the 3/8 as you will not have as good
a chance of it flexing and snapping on you while you put it up or
transport it. A hint for your inspection - check the ceiling as well,
its probably drywall or could even be plaster over a solid wood ceiling.

Older homes could be such a pleasure to renovate if the previous owners
weren't such lousy shade tree "handy men."

--
Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair

elanamig wrote:
Asked the owners at the closing today what their walls were made of,
and they said - plasterboard, which, as I read right now, is the same
thing as drywall... So, if they're correct, why on earth would they
put cheesecloth over drywall???

Anyway, we're going to try to pull some wallpaper/cheesecloth stuff off
to see what's behind it... Somehow it seemed like such an easy
project, and now I'm dreading it.

Plaster board is not same as drywall in design. Plaster board is used
in place of wood lathe and is usually plastered over. I can see in some
warm areas the cheese cloth and wallpaper over it could be used for
economical reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:50:03a, elanamig meant to say...

Hello, group,

We are buying a house that has wallpaper everywhere imaginable. In one
room however, only one wall had wallpaper, and the other three had some
kind of cheesecloth layer. This is a 1960's house. I've heard that
before they'd put canvas/cheesecloth on walls to make them smoother for
wallpaper. Do you think this is it? If it is, would I remove it like
regular wallpaper or are there special techniques? Should I expect
this cheesecloth layer behind the wallpaper everywhere else? I'd like
to tear down the wallpaper and paint the walls. In the room that has
this cheesecloth stuff, should I remove it, or would the primer/paint
cover the cheesecloth texture?

Thank you,
Elana

Is this truly "cheesecloth" or is it "lining paper"? Some types of lining
paper have a fabric backing and/or surface. The purpose of using it is to
provide a smoother surface for conventional wallpaper application on top of
it. Generally, the lining paper is applied over the wall surface using a
vinyl adhesive. It is then coated with sizing as one would do to a
conventional wall surface before applying the finish wallpaper. Lining
paper is very useful for covering cracked walls, grooved wood paneling,
etc., when wallpaper is desired. It definitely does not provide a good
surface for painting, unless you are planning on using a textured paint.
The fabric texture will show through ordinary paint.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Double your drive space - delete Windows!

Posted to alt.home.repair

oups.com...

EXT wrote:
First you may want to open up a small hole in the wall the ensure that
there
are boards behind the wallpaper and to determine if there is insulation.
If
no insulation you may want to take steps to either open up the wall to
insulate or drill holes in each cavity to blow in insulation or have foam
injected.

If the walls are truly wooden boards with multiple paper/cloth coatings,
then I would drywall over the whole lot. This will cover the holes made
for
insulation. If there is crumbling plaster, particularly plaster
reinforced
with horsehair that is decaying, you may want to strip down to the frame
where insulating and vapor barrier will be an easy installation.

A lot of good discussion in this thread. You might seriously consider
repapering the walls. I believe that would be considerably easier and
cheaper, and there is an almost infinite variety of papers to choose from
including some with very faint patterns.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to GoHabsGo, Deborah Tanner wrote:
We hav 1/4" sheetrock covering our shiplap... and of course the cheesecloth on
top of the shiplap. So far the sheetrock is coming down fairly easily... the
cheesecloth mostly comes down EZ also EXCEPT for where it was attached with
nails or tacks. So I'm searching to find how to dissolve the cheesecloth to
clean up the wall...... that's my dilema....... Good Luck !!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ls-157693-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 8:14:07 PM UTC-5, Deborah Tanner wrote:

replying to GoHabsGo, Deborah Tanner wrote:

We hav 1/4" sheetrock covering our shiplap... and of course the cheesecloth on
top of the shiplap. So far the sheetrock is coming down fairly easily... the
cheesecloth mostly comes down EZ also EXCEPT for where it was attached with
nails or tacks. So I'm searching to find how to dissolve the cheesecloth to
clean up the wall...... that's my dilema....... Good Luck !!!

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ls-157693-.htm

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA, t-w-e-l-v-e y-e-a-r old post! HomeMoanersHub strikes
again! What a bunch of dummies.