Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical coupling what's it called?

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

What are you trying to couple? There are EMT couplings, standard and water
tight, threaded conduit couplings, three piece Erickson couplings, explosion
proof couplings...

"Randy Day" wrote in message
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

You said "the platform can only turn one way, so it can't have wires
up the hub."

this sentence is unclear.......turning one way does not preclude
putting wires up through the hib

Does the platform do continuous 360's? Like display platform? Like
the turret in a tank?

If yes, you need a "slip ring"

These are very seldom used & most elctrivcal house's won't stock thme

cheers

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article 7ZyZg.155882$1T2.95555@pd7urf2no,
Randy Day wrote:
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

It's called a slip ring, sometimes called a commutator ring (a commutator
ring is a specialized type of slip ring.)

http://www.mercotac.com/html/products.html
http://www.uea-inc.com/slip/index.html
http://www.polysci.com/SlipRings/slipring.html

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

You said "the platform can only turn one way, so it can't have wires
up the hub."

this sentence is unclear.......turning one way does not preclude

My apologies.

putting wires up through the hib

Eventually they'd twist off.

Does the platform do continuous 360's? Like display platform? Like
the turret in a tank?

Exactly like that.

If yes, you need a "slip ring"

Google will now be my friend!

These are very seldom used & most elctrivcal house's won't stock thme

So I've been finding out...

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

It's called a slip ring, sometimes called a commutator ring (a commutator
ring is a specialized type of slip ring.)

http://www.mercotac.com/html/products.html
http://www.uea-inc.com/slip/index.html
http://www.polysci.com/SlipRings/slipring.html

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks much!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

Think battery on the turntable. Lot less effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Randy Day wrote:
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

Think battery on the turntable. Lot less effort.

If the equipment on the platform uses about 10 amps at 120V and runs 10 to
12 hours a day, what sized battery would you use? Do you think D cells are
big enough?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Randy Day wrote:
I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

Think battery on the turntable. Lot less effort.

If the equipment on the platform uses about 10 amps at 120V and runs
10 to 12 hours a day, what sized battery would you use? Do you think
D cells are big enough?

Well, no. But a boat or truck battery could provide ten amps for five hours.
He'd need ten batteries for 1200 watts.

We don't know what he's building. It might be a simple yard display for
Christmas or a turntable for an automobile at the dealership.

He might even be able to use solar panels. If at night, shine floodlights on
the mechanism.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

They are called slip rings. There are a number of designs, but typically
it's a couple rings of brass with carbon brushes that press against them
to conduct the electricity. They are used on everything from tank
turrets to ferris wheels. Very similar to the commutator on a DC motor,
but the rings are not segmented and provide a continuous connection.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Randy Day wrote:

BobK207 wrote:
Randy Day wrote:

[...]

Slip rings are used all over the place. They are very, very common, but
they are not a typical "off the shelf" item in most cases. The Thomas
Register lists some companies that make them commercially, but they're
fairly high end and expensive.

In many cases the company or person making the item that needs the slip
rings makes the slip rings as well as they are pretty simple. Any
electric motor shop will have a nice assortment of carbon brushes you
can use and probably brush holders as well.

I built a display carousel that needed to couple 12VAC power across the
rotary connection and I built the slip rings from a couple segments of
brass plumbing pipe mounted on PVC pipe with carbon brushes from an auto
parts store pressing on them.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:07:14 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Is there a commercial product out there, and if so, what
is it called? None of the electrical places I talked to
knew of anything like this...

They are called slip rings. There are a number of designs, but typically
it's a couple rings of brass with carbon brushes that press against them
to conduct the electricity. They are used on everything from tank
turrets to ferris wheels. Very similar to the commutator on a DC motor,
but the rings are not segmented and provide a continuous connection.

Pete C.

I have seen them in a device to keep a telephone handset cord from
getting tangled.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

They are called slip rings. There are a number of designs, but typically
it's a couple rings of brass with carbon brushes that press against them
to conduct the electricity. They are used on everything from tank
turrets to ferris wheels. Very similar to the commutator on a DC motor,
but the rings are not segmented and provide a continuous connection.

I have seen them in a device to keep a telephone handset cord from
getting tangled.
--

I can't say who makes them, but I've seen a cheap consumer slip ring
for lights used on rotating Christmas trees.

Beachcomber

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Randy Day wrote:

I'm looking for an electrical coupling to provide 120VAC
to equipment on a rotating platform. The platform can
only turn one way, so it can't have wires up the hub.

Hah! They do still make them! Check this out... Rotating
Christmas Tree stand with slip rings!

http://www.christmas-decorations-gif.../more_info.asp

Beachcomber