Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water problem

All of a sudden my hot water is coming out of all my faucets scalding hot.

It did this once about a month ago.

Is my hot water heater going bad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Postal68 wrote:
All of a sudden my hot water is coming out of all my faucets scalding hot.

It did this once about a month ago.

Is my hot water heater going bad?

Water heater control.

Gas?
Electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Postal68 wrote:

Electric,
I looked at the temperature control knob and it is set almost to the
minimum.

Controls do go bad and they are not difficult to replace.
Should be 2 of them : upper and lower.

Another possibility is that one of the elements has
developed an internal short or "leakage". That can
cause overheating that the thermostat can't prevent.

Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
om...

Postal68 wrote:

All of a sudden my hot water is coming out of all my faucets scalding
hot.

It did this once about a month ago.

Is my hot water heater going bad?

Water heater control.

Gas?
Electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another thing that can cause an electric water heater to overheat is a
situation where one of the thermostats is for some reason pulled back from
contact with the side of the tank. Most thermostats are held against the
tank by simple spring action. The back of the thermostat should be in
direct contact with the tank.

Harry

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
t...
Postal68 wrote:

Electric,
I looked at the temperature control knob and it is set almost to the
minimum.

Controls do go bad and they are not difficult to replace.
Should be 2 of them : upper and lower.

Another possibility is that one of the elements has
developed an internal short or "leakage". That can
cause overheating that the thermostat can't prevent.

Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
om...

Postal68 wrote:

All of a sudden my hot water is coming out of all my faucets scalding
hot.

It did this once about a month ago.

Is my hot water heater going bad?

Water heater control.

Gas?
Electric?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another possibility is that one of the elements has
developed an internal short or "leakage". That can
cause overheating that the thermostat can't prevent.

The element either works, or is open and does not work at all. The element
is controlled by an thermostatic on-off switch which could be defective or
not making good physical contact with the tank and thus is not sensing the
temperature as it should.