Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Default How to store window A/Cs?

I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Nope. Pure bs. You could be distorting the elastic mounts that isolate
the compressor from
the frame, though.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Don Wiss wrote:

I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.
Is there any basis to their claim?
Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

What he claims is not making sense to me.
He could be simply trying to get you to reduce the price. - udarrell

--
PROPER A/C UNIT & DUCTWORK Sizing is over 70% of Operating Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
dpb dpb is offline

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Not on that basis, no...charitably, they're extrapolating from
something the once heard about orientation and startup pressures, etc.,
and maybe some old ammonia-based systems lore/legend. Realistically,
it's probably a little of that and a whole lot of attempt to get the
price down as someone else noted.

Ask 'em what keeps the refrigerant from eating through the same tubes
when it's being circulated.

You would want them oriented properly and set there for a while before
operating, though. And I suspect if asked, the manufacturer would
recommend storing in horizontal, upright position. But I don't think
likely to have caused permanent damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

How does the owners manual say to store them?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

If the OP's owners manuals are anything like the ones that came with my
window a/c's, it doesn't say. There seems to be an assumption that
once you put them in the windows, they'll stay there forever.

Jo Ann

wrote:
How does the owners manual say to store them?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Sort of in some circumstances.

If you move a refrigerator on its side in a pickup truck, you can have
problems and a room AC is just a smaller version. There is plenty of info on
this on the internet from reliable sources.

No, it will not eat away at the tubing. What can happen is the oil in the
system can run out of the compressor and get into the coils. Standing in
the proper position for a time will usually correct the problem. Since you
have done this for several years, it evidently in not a big deal with the
particular design of your units.
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...rator/move.php
Can I Lay the Refrigerator on its Side?
Avoid laying a refrigerator on its side. The oil in the compressor can flow
into the cooling lines when the refrigerator is tipped onto its side. When
returned to an upright position, there is a risk that the oil will not
completely drain from the cooling lines and the refrigerator will not cool.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored

for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

These should always be stored with the compressor upside turned down--this
will keep the oil from all settling to the bottom due to gravity.

--

SVL

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Probably not. But storing them with the front
panel up also makes no sense. Should be store in
the position that they would run.

I think the guys were just trying to get them
extra cheap.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Yes. Storing refrigeration units in the wrong orientation can cause
problems. However, they can often be salvaged by restoring them to a normal
orientation and then waiting a week BEFORE powering them up.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
dpb dpb is offline

Don Wiss wrote:

I doubt he's trying to get the price down. I'm practically giving them
away. There isn't much market for used air conditioners. Low-end units are
so cheap these days that you can't sell used high-end units for much of
anything.

Is here, at least in mid-summer!

In that case, might consider getting in touch w/ some of the local
relief agencies or similar. A tax write-off to a charitable
organization might be worth more than you're trying to sell them for.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I don't think it will cause problems. As others pointed out, they should be
returned to a normal configuraton for awhile (a week sounds long, but I'd
wait a few days) before running).

There's no reason anyone has to know they were ever in this position. Just
put them 'right' and what you don't say doesn't matter. I don't think
you're misleading anyone since this shouldn't be a problem, but why cause
unnecessary questions?

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Tim Fischer wrote:

There's no reason anyone has to know they were ever in this position. Just
put them 'right' and what you don't say doesn't matter. I don't think
you're misleading anyone since this shouldn't be a problem, but why cause
unnecessary questions?

In this case he has already seen them on end. He's my electrician, and he
was here doing a job.

I could give (his sister?) a 5-year warranty. If they die within five years
I'll give them their money back.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Don Wiss wrote:
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me! The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

To answer your question, no the refrigerant will not eat throught the
lines. What can happen though is depending on the location of the
compressor suction and discharge lines, oil can drain out of the
compressor and into the system. That can be a bad thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

What do you suggest?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nope. Pure bs. You could be distorting the elastic mounts that
isolate
the compressor from
the frame, though.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

I had a couple friends who did that. The weight mashed the fins on
back of the unit, and was a PIA to get em straightened out. Bad
storage technique.

I admit, they don't stack very well. Have to put a board on the top,
back, to make em stack fairly level.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
I have a couple of Panasonic window air conditioners that I have
stored for
several years with the front panels facing upwards. I switched to
central
air a few years ago and I'm trying to get rid of them. I found one
fellow
interested, but he and his brother claim that the way I have stored
them
has caused irreparable damage. Something about the refrigerant eating
through the tubing and could cause leaking. This is new info to me!
The
units are about six years old, and are the ones with the electronic
controls in the CW-XC series.

Is there any basis to their claim?

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

HUUUUUHH...replace the elastic straps with new Velcro/elastic, so they can
be changed faster next time.....right boss......right boss HUUHH HUUHH

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
What do you suggest?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nope. Pure bs. You could be distorting the elastic mounts that
isolate
the compressor from
the frame, though.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On 19 Oct 2006, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a couple friends who did that. The weight mashed the fins on
back of the unit, and was a PIA to get em straightened out. Bad
storage technique.

The fins are not mashed. The floor is flat. They are not stacked.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Tim Fischer wrote:

I could give (his sister?) a 5-year warranty. If they die within five
years
I'll give them their money back.

Is he really the ONLY person you could sell to? I sure wouldn't warrant
anything for 5 years. One year, maybe, but I'd sure prefer to just find
someone else...

-Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Tim Fischer wrote:

Is he really the ONLY person you could sell to? I sure wouldn't warrant
anything for 5 years. One year, maybe, but I'd sure prefer to just find
someone else...

I've had problems even giving them away for free. I really don't care about
the little bit of money I'd get.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message

I've had problems even giving them away for free. I really don't care
about
the little bit of money I'd get.

Depends on where you live. I'd put them by the curb and put a FREE sign on
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Don Wiss" wrote in message

I've had problems even giving them away for free. I really don't care
about
the little bit of money I'd get.

Depends on where you live. I'd put them by the curb and put a FREE sign
on them.

I had a couple of old window shakers that I wanted to get rid of. I put
them by the curb with a "FOR SALE - $75" sign on them. They were gone the
next morning!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Tim Fischer wrote:

I could give (his sister?) a 5-year warranty. If they die within five
years
I'll give them their money back.

Would anybody in their right mind offer that warranty to you? Hell no.
Don't sell ANYTHING to friends or associates.

Get your garage sale sign up, plug them in to show they work. Tag them
AS IS
for $150.00 each.

Now keep your shoulders back and your head high, damn it! Let 'em drive
a hard bargain and then let them both go for $200.00.

-zero