Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Purchasing Storm Windows

I own a 100 year old home with double-hung, single-pane windows that
are in very good shape. Unfortuantely, the storm windows are a
disaster. I wish to have someone replace the storm windows. I just
contacted the Borg to get a quote to give me some idea of the pricing.

Can you give me some guidance on buying new storm windows?

Can you recommend any brands?

Are double-hung, double-pane, storm-windows available?

Are there any installation details I should insist on? (i.e. a bead of
caulk under the storms?)

Thanks for your thoughts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jay hey" wrote in message

Can you give me some guidance on buying new storm windows?

Can you recommend any brands?

Are double-hung, double-pane, storm-windows available?

Are there any installation details I should insist on? (i.e. a bead of
caulk under the storms?)

The borgs are the last place I'd buy them, but that is your choice. I used
to do this as a sideline business many years ago. Check with neighbors to
see who they used, but there are plenty of reputable small businesses that
can do a good job at reasonable cost.

Most windows are triple track storms. That means there is an upper storm
panel, a lower storm panel, and a screen for the lower portion that will
store in the raised position. I've not kept up with the latest brands, but
I do know Harvey is one of the better ones.
http://www.harveyind.com/product_inf...sp#glazingGrid

Are you a handy DIY kind of guy? Not afraid to work standing on a ladder?
You can install a storm in about 10 minutes once you know how. You may also
want to paint the window frames before putting in the new storms. It is
easiest to do that way.

Measure the opening where the window will fit. Order the next size smaller
so you don't have to trim.

Prep the window. You install them with the glass in place to keep them
square. I used a Whitney punch to make three or four holes on a side, two
on top, two vent holes at the bottom. Run a beat of caulk on the stop where
the window mounts. Do the two sides and top. Climb the ladder with the
window in front of you and just put it in place. Once you get one screw in,
the window won't fall while you put in the rest. A small, light, cordless
drill is good for that, a 9.6V or 12V will do.

Do NOT step back to admire you work until you get down from the ladder.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/stormwindows
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only type to get is a U type storm window with a spreader bar like the one
from Harvey Industries called the Tru Channel window. There may be other
companies that make a U channel but Harvey is the one I use because it is
simply the best there is. Solid and stays square. These are not flimsy ones.
Air infiltration is around 99% if I recall. I have been back to house I have
done over 25 years ago and they are still in perfect working condition.
Others will get loose and rattle and are drafty amd easily go out of square.
These don't.