Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default garage roof

I am watching my neighbor have some work done to here garage. It is a
small, 1-car garage that was probably built in the 40s' Hinged doors,
not "garage door".

The roof sags quite a bit, maybe 6 to 8 inches in the middle. They
just put up a new facia/soffic/eaves "thing" which is basically two
pressure treated (yes pressure treated) 2x8s toenailed together to form
a V. The long side on on the roof, the short side hangs down. Then
they took 2 more pressure treated 2X8s and formed another V and put
that in as a new ridgeline. (and you can see a gap under it where the
roof sags down). All of this right over the existing roof.

I don't know the next step, but I would guess another 2x8 on its edge
halfway up (shimmed to be level) or 2x8s on edge tieing the ridge to
the edge, followed by decking and roofing.

The old roof has a least two roofs on it already.

It is just me, or does this sound like a whole lot of weight on an old
structure? I've never seen anything quite like this before. I don't
care what they do because it's their garage and their car, but I'm just
curious about it. She's in her 80s, so if it lasts another 20 years
she'll be happy. And if the neighbor is happy, I'm happy.

I know they're not doing any jacking because there's a car in the
garage gulp

BTW, the new garage doors look nice and appear to be well made. Also
pressure treated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Pat wrote:
small, 1-car garage that was probably built in the 40s' ...
The roof sags ... 6 to 8 inches in the middle. They
just put up ... two ... 2x8s [toe]nailed together to form
a V. The long side on on the roof, the short side hangs down. Then
they took 2 more pressure treated 2X8s and formed another V and put
that in as a new ridgeline. (and you can see a gap under it where the
roof sags down). All of this right over the existing roof.

I don't know the next step, but I would guess another 2x8 on its edge
halfway up (shimmed to be level) or 2x8s on edge tieing the ridge to
the edge, followed by decking and roofing.

The old roof has a least two roofs on it already.

It is just me, or does this sound like a whole lot of weight on an old
structure? I've never seen anything quite like this before. I don't
care what they do because it's their garage and their car, but I'm just
curious about it. She's in her 80s, so if it lasts another 20 years
she'll be happy. And if the neighbor is happy, I'm happy.

Depends...a lot of stuff built that vintage is pretty stoutly
constructed, but the sagging roof sorta' contradicts that, although
there could be lots of reasons there, too. No way to tell w/o knowing
what actually is there, of course, but sounds like a reasonably cheap
"fix" that may well last quite a while. Undoubtedly unless there's
some other way to add some stiffness it will eventually sag some, too,
but as long as the end walls are relatively stiff and there's a decent
tie across the wall tops, should be adequate...

As for not jacking, the existing sag has probably been there for so
long that to attempt to take the bow back out would be essentially
impossible w/o turning it into a major long-term project...