Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Space heater with POWERFUL fan

We have a small unheated bathroom and have been using small electric
heaters to make the temperature comfortable when someone takes a shower
(yes, the heater is keep well away from anything wet). Problem is, while
all the small heaters are a nominal 750/1500 watts, they differ greatly on
the amount of air moved. For the most part, they're designed to be quiet -
and that means they don't move that much ear.

The need is for the heater to get the bathroom warmed up _fast_, which
means it must blow a lot of air around the room within only a few minutes.
I'm frankly getting tired of standing in the middle of the room with a
handheld hair dryer .... but _that_ works.

The latest attempt was with the Vornado heater which claims to create a
vortex which causes air to circulate throughout the room. That it does ...
the toilet paper rustles from around the corner - but unfortunately that
vortex doesn't contain enough high velocity air to instantly heat the
whole room.

Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
We have a small unheated bathroom and have been using small electric
heaters to make the temperature comfortable when someone takes a shower

snip
The need is for the heater to get the bathroom warmed up _fast_, which
means it must blow a lot of air around the room within only a few minutes.

snip
Any suggestions?

If air-moving were the issue, a symptom would be an overheated region
in the
path of radiation or convection from the heater. Which you do not
mention.

Even 1500-watt heater (which does stress the electrical connections) is
only going
to dissipate 5100 BTU/hr. About half the output of a stovetop gas
burner.

Suggestions? Get used to it; start heater earlier; go to higher-output
220v hard-wired
heater; insulate, seal, and heat efficiently. Your pick.

HTH,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message

The need is for the heater to get the bathroom warmed up _fast_, which
means it must blow a lot of air around the room within only a few minutes.
I'm frankly getting tired of standing in the middle of the room with a
handheld hair dryer .... but _that_ works.

No amount of air volume or velocity will heat the air any faster than the
heater can give off heat. Youneed more h eat, or a longer heating time.
Try using a small 10" box fan and see if that helps bbefore you invest in
equipmetn that is no better than what you have.

The latest attempt was with the Vornado heater which claims to create a
vortex which causes air to circulate throughout the room. That it does ...
the toilet paper rustles from around the corner - but unfortunately that
vortex doesn't contain enough high velocity air to instantly heat the
whole room.

No 1500 watt heater will be instant. Consider an infrared aimed right at
you. They tend to feel instant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

All the fan does is mix the air. It does not make more heat or increase
the heat output of the heater. Unless the problem is a hot area and a cold
area, you don't need a stronger fan. If that is your problem, just buy a
good fan to mix the air in the room. My guess is you need two such heaters.
That likely will mean a new circuit to power the second heater.

Another alternative is to turn on the current heater ahead of time.
Turning it on an hour before you want it it can have the room warm. A timer
may be needed to help you out.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:09:08 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mike S." wrote in message

[...]

If your water heater has the capacity, running the shower at
it's hottest setting will dump a lot of heat into the room
fairly quickly, and heat the surface you're standing on, too.

I find that if I turn the shower on first thing as I enter
the bathroom, and pull the curtain, by the time I actually
get INTO the shower, the stall is a fairly comfortable.

If you need better than that, I think you're going to
have to start heating the bathroom all the time.

Or let someone else go first.

water heater saga Nonnymus Home Repair 2 June 19th 06 12:34 AM
Important COSTLY Info about that new water heater Bubba Home Repair 21 December 1st 05 01:15 AM
kick space heater kingrat Home Ownership 1 March 8th 05 02:29 AM
Water heater in series to use as storage tank ... good or bad? Fred Home Repair 12 January 29th 05 01:38 PM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Ownership 9 January 10th 04 01:09 AM