Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moen Pivot Retainer Fix Help

I have the One Touch Model 87540CSD Kitchen Faucet. I noticed a month
ago when I pressed the handle, it seemed loose. Well yesterday the
entire plastic Pivot Retainer broke and was all rotted out. I ordered a
new Retainer from Moen. There was a lot of melted plastic left in edges
that I was able to clean out with a Flat Head Screwdriver & a Hammer.
My question is when I get the part, what is the proper way to install
the Pivot Retainer. Also, did I need to replace the Cartridge as well
or any other part for that matter ? Thanks in advance. I'm not a Handy
Andy if you catch my drift.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dino wrote:
I have the One Touch Model 87540CSD Kitchen Faucet. I noticed a month
ago when I pressed the handle, it seemed loose. Well yesterday the
entire plastic Pivot Retainer broke and was all rotted out. I ordered a
new Retainer from Moen. There was a lot of melted plastic left in edges
that I was able to clean out with a Flat Head Screwdriver & a Hammer.
My question is when I get the part, what is the proper way to install
the Pivot Retainer. Also, did I need to replace the Cartridge as well
or any other part for that matter ? Thanks in advance. I'm not a Handy
Andy if you catch my drift.

Don't believe the Moen ads that their fixtures will outlast the house.
Maybe you should do the whole thing. In my 30 year old house, I've
replaced the kitchen faucet twice and four in the powder rooms/baths.
It is not a hard job but while you are at it, may wish to replace drain
traps and shut off valves. With my arthritis, I now use plumber.

Cartridge replacement is easy. You remove retainer pin and pull out
old one. May take some twisting. Cartridges can last a long time as I
still have originals in shower and bath.
You do not need a plumber for this.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

I already ordered the Pivot Retainer from Moen. I'll give it a try &
see how it lasts. If it doesn't work, I think I'll take your advice &
replace the entire Faucet. Thanks.
Frank wrote:
Dino wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dino wrote:
I already ordered the Pivot Retainer from Moen. I'll give it a try &
see how it lasts. If it doesn't work, I think I'll take your advice &
replace the entire Faucet. Thanks.

Moen fixtures are readily available at all local suppliers. I had an
experience last month in ordering some Aquapure water filters on the
internet since local supplier was out. Don't have url available on
this machine, but filters came the next day - faster than you can get a
plumber - and a lot cheaper than the manufacturer wanted.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ordered it on Saturday from Moen. It shipped today (Tuesday). Not the
fastest but...
I can't understand why Home Depot or Lowes do not sell parts. I just
hope it all works when I install it.

Frank wrote:
Dino wrote:
I already ordered the Pivot Retainer from Moen. I'll give it a try &
see how it lasts. If it doesn't work, I think I'll take your advice &
replace the entire Faucet. Thanks.

Moen fixtures are readily available at all local suppliers. I had an
experience last month in ordering some Aquapure water filters on the
internet since local supplier was out. Don't have url available on
this machine, but filters came the next day - faster than you can get a
plumber - and a lot cheaper than the manufacturer wanted.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dino wrote:
I ordered it on Saturday from Moen. It shipped today (Tuesday). Not the
fastest but...
I can't understand why Home Depot or Lowes do not sell parts. I just
hope it all works when I install it.

Dino,
Now on my persona pc. This is url of internet plumbing supplier
specific to Moen:
http://www.needplumbingsupplies.com/...om+Accessories
When I ordered the filters, they paid postage but there was few $
handling charge.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the Link to the Website. Unfortunaltely they did not have
the Moen Pivot Retainer. I should get my part from Moen tomorrow
(Thursday), so I'll post how it worked out for me. Thanks for all the
help. I'll keep the needplumbingsupplies website bookmarked for the
future.

Frank wrote:
Dino wrote:
I ordered it on Saturday from Moen. It shipped today (Tuesday). Not the
fastest but...
I can't understand why Home Depot or Lowes do not sell parts. I just
hope it all works when I install it.

Dino,
Now on my persona pc. This is url of internet plumbing supplier
specific to Moen:
http://www.needplumbingsupplies.com/...om+Accessories
When I ordered the filters, they paid postage but there was few $
handling charge.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to let you know. I got home & Moen had delivered the part. I
installed it in 2 minutes. Works like a Charm. No Leaks. Life is good
this week. Thanks to all of you who replied & helped.