Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

Old October 15th 06, 06:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
ZZ

Default Replacing 1 15 amp Receptacle With 1 20 Receptacle

Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Old October 15th 06, 06:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"ZZ" wrote in message
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming
from the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

If it is #14 wire you must have a 15a breaker and 15a outlets.
Are you sure it is #14? Kitchens have required #12 for a while now.

Old October 15th 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ZZ wrote:
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

A 14 ga circuit should be on a 15 amp breaker, not a 20. Putting a 20
amp outlet on that same circuit is making the problem worse.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Old October 15th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
ZZ

A 14 ga circuit should be on a 15 amp breaker, not a 20. Putting a 20
amp outlet on that same circuit is making the problem worse.

Even if the 20 amp breaker has 3 15 amp receptacles on the one circuit?

Old October 15th 06, 07:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

ZZ wrote:
Hi There,

I'm confused on if I can replace an 15 amp receptacle with a 20 amp
receptacle. I want to be able to hook up a espresso machine in my kitchen
and the machine requires a 20amp circuit.

The particular circuit I want to change out has a 20 amp breaker coming from
the box using a 14 gauge wire to, 1 15 amp GFI receptacle & 2 15 amp
receptacles in the kitchen.

Will I be able to switch out 1 of the 15 amp receptacles with a 20 amp
receptacle without causing a problem?

Thanks,
Dave

I have installed quite a few 20-amp receptacles in my house as
replacements for 15-amp receptacles over the years. In fact, whenever I
happen to replace a 15-amp receptacle, I usually use a 20-amp
receptacle. Not because I'm actually going to draw 20-amps out of that
socket, but simply because they are higher-quality outlets. It usually
only takes a few minutes to swap them out.

I doubt if your expresso machine actually draws 20 amps. It probably
draws less than 10 amps. A nice little gadget to have around the house
is the "Kill A Watt" meter. It will tell you how much current any
device with a plug is drawing. They are relatively inexpensive. Here's
an example website
http://www.fadfusion.com/selection.p...FQjqYAodamF2Gw

It sounds like your house has been wired incorrectly. It makes me
wonder if you might have the basis for a lawsuit.

Old October 15th 06, 07:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

As others have said, all kitchen outlets are required to be on 20 amp
circuits, it is Ok that the receptacles are 15 amp as long as there is more
than one outlet on the circuit. The cable should be 12 gauge. If your
appliance has a 20 amp plug on it, it requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit
and outlet

Old October 15th 06, 07:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Don't trust the color of the sheath. Color coding of the sheath is a recent
feature. Older cable may have been used and it was all white or ivory for
virtually all gauges. Read the gauge number printed on the side of the cable
sheath to confirm the actual wire size used.

"ZZ" wrote in message

If it is #14 wire you must have a 15a breaker and 15a outlets.
Are you sure it is #14? Kitchens have required #12 for a while now.

Yes, it is #14/2.

I do have a refrigerator that has a 20 amp receptacle in the kitchen with
12 gauge wire, but that's it. In my house, all the 12 gauge wire has a
yellow sheath & all the 14 gauge has a bone white sheath.

This is a brand new house (5 months old).

Old October 15th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

What you are doing is wrong, and you can get good quality 15 amp outlets.
The cheap ones are residential grade. His espresso machine must draw more
than 10 amps or it would have a 15 amp plug on it. There are actually
certain codes to this stuff, it isn't just decided willy -nilly

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 15th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"ZZ" wrote in message
.. .

A 14 ga circuit should be on a 15 amp breaker, not a 20. Putting a 20
amp outlet on that same circuit is making the problem worse.

Even if the 20 amp breaker has 3 15 amp receptacles on the one circuit?

Picture having two items plugged in, each drawing 10a. (or one
misfunctioning item drawing more current than it should)
What will happen?