Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile question

I've looked through a dozen books on tiling, but I haven't seen this
mentioned anywhere. I know how to tile, but I haven't seen this specific
problem yet. Let's say
A) you want to tile only part of the wall, such as in a kitchen backsplash,
or a bathroom tub surround.
B) the wall is already painted and you're not repainting.

So how do you get a good line at the edge of the tile? In other words, how
do you make sure the adhesive doesn't go past the edge of the tiling area,
and the grout doesn't either? Could be as simple as blue taping at the edge
of the tiling area, and then taking the tape off before the adhesive dries,
then repeating for the grout. But I just haven't seen it ever mentioned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jeffc" wrote in message
I've looked through a dozen books on tiling, but I haven't seen this
mentioned anywhere. I know how to tile, but I haven't seen this specific
problem yet. Let's say
A) you want to tile only part of the wall, such as in a kitchen

backsplash,
or a bathroom tub surround.
B) the wall is already painted and you're not repainting.

So how do you get a good line at the edge of the tile? In other words,

how
do you make sure the adhesive doesn't go past the edge of the tiling area,
and the grout doesn't either? Could be as simple as blue taping at the

edge
of the tiling area, and then taking the tape off before the adhesive

dries,
then repeating for the grout. But I just haven't seen it ever mentioned.

Just wipe the thinset off before it dries with a damp rag.

Bob

Removing ceramic tile floor question Dukester Home Repair 5 May 31st 06 01:48 PM
tile grout question SeaKan Home Repair 6 March 15th 06 05:08 PM
Bathroom tile question [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 4th 06 01:10 AM
Ceramic tile question Daniel Home Repair 5 March 9th 05 09:46 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM