Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rain drains

I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

"Kathy" wrote in message
news:a979ae1a49fbe1deb80a27a516a3c396@homerepairli ve.com...
I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger

If you connect your gutter drains to your french drains you may filling the
foundation area with roof water. You need to be sure the roof water is
directed away from the house. Any depth is okay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:50:44 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message
news:a979ae1a49fbe1deb80a27a516a3c396@homerepairl ive.com...
I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger

If you connect your gutter drains to your french drains you may filling the
foundation area with roof water. You need to be sure the roof water is
directed away from the house. Any depth is okay.

Depending on what you mean by "northwest" What's the frost
depth at your altitute/lattitude?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kathy wrote:
I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger

Your downspouts generate thousands of gallons of water. Don't dump
this into the drainage system for your foundation. It's asking for
problems now or down the road.

Instead, have your downspouts drain into underground drain pipe that
leads to a safe area far away from the foundation of your house. The
best system is to have the drain pipe go to daylight if you have a
sufficient grade drop. If not, you can use a pop-up emitters with a
seepage system (hole in bottom of pipe, pipe surrounded by gravel and
geotextile fabric). That way, left over water eventually drains and
prevents your drain pipes from breaking during a hard freeze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kathy wrote:
I am an inexperienced lady trying to put the rain drain system in myself.
We are having a log home built. It is on a slope in the northwest so we
get plenty of rain. There is a daylight basement and the builder did put
in a french drain all the way around the house and then he back filled. I
dug down to the footings on the daylight side of the house but as the
gound sloped up I was about 18" deep on the filled side. My question: is
that deep enough to put my 3" drain pipe down? Do I connect it to the
french drain? Any other advice? Kathy

Kathy the digger

Your downspouts generate thousands of gallons of water. Don't dump
this into the drainage system for your foundation. It's asking for
problems now or down the road.

I'll second that. Previous owner here did that, and seemed clueless why the
basement was wet. Sawing those off and adding elbows and extensions and
splash blocks was the first thing I did, even before I moved in. Made a big
difference. I almost never get any seepage now.

For OP, if this is a cabin in the woods, I'd try Real Hard to do without
gutters at all, due to the leaf/pine needle loading problem. Big overhangs,
and careful yard grading to get drainage, with a gravel planting bed or
pavers or something at the drip lines.

aem sends...

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the input. I'll put my rain drain pipe on top of the fench
drain and run that to daylight. It's a daylight bacement so there is
plenty of grade. Our log home is in NW Oregon and it is 3500sq. ft.
Watching this project take shape has been exciting and at times a real
nail bitter! Our ridge pole is over 3600lbs. and is 40ft long. I counted
over 80 growth rings. We just got the roof on in time the weather has
changed to rain. They are working on the framing now. It is a challenge
for them because they have never worked with logs before. They did not
understand about the log shrinkage issue and nailed the bucks to the logs
and not the channel guide, which is suppose to move as the logs shrink.
They all have to be taken apart and done over. We are living in a 24ft
travel trailer and hope to be in by the end of the year. At any rate the
house is a beauty with a view of the valley looking toward the Columbia
River and the Washington State mountains. Blessed We Are!
Kathy the digger

Kathy the digger

drains Alistair Riddell UK diy 6 February 22nd 06 09:14 PM
INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 4 October 28th 05 01:46 AM
INSURANCE ADVICE REQD: Leaking drains, Subsidence & rotting floor joists. HJWD UK diy 0 October 27th 05 11:59 AM
Question about Fench Drains Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Home Repair 13 June 10th 05 04:15 PM
Rain butt fill problem Broadback UK diy 11 May 19th 05 10:56 PM