Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet slowly draining

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jacob wrote:
I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds
like someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that
the drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax.
is this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

No, I would take to cover off the tank and look around. I suspect the
your problem is in the tank. There are several possibilities and different
configurations with modern toilets increase the number of issues, but make
sure the flapper valve is sealing properly and that the float valve is fully
shutting off the flow of water coming in. BTW does the water in the bowl
stay at the correct level or drain down?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

The water does stay at the correct level. everything inside the tank
is relatively new and had been working prior to the removal of my
toilet. i only hear the water trickling down for about 30 seconds
after the tank fills up. It does make sense that it would do that it
the flapper was not sealing, but it only does it for a short period of
time. I will check it when I get home. your assessment makes more
sense than mine. thanks.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Jacob wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Oct 2006 05:01:18 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

imho:

Are you noticing any drop in tank water level?

I was told that if you drop in a few drops of food coloring in the
tank, and then look in the bowl after a while, it becomes very easy to
determine if you have a leaking valve/seat.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have not noticed a drop in the tank water level. I will check it out
though. thanks

this seems to be something that is happening only for about a minute
after a flush and that's it.

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Oct 2006 05:01:18 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

imho:

Are you noticing any drop in tank water level?

I was told that if you drop in a few drops of food coloring in the
tank, and then look in the bowl after a while, it becomes very easy to
determine if you have a leaking valve/seat.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

The water level in the tank and the bowl are not experiencing a drop at
all. everything seems to be sealed well. I noticed that when you pour
water into the bowl you can hear it trickling out into the drain.
could it be that there is too much water in the bowl?

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Oct 2006 05:01:18 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

imho:

Are you noticing any drop in tank water level?

I was told that if you drop in a few drops of food coloring in the
tank, and then look in the bowl after a while, it becomes very easy to
determine if you have a leaking valve/seat.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 Oct 2006 05:46:02 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

The water level in the tank and the bowl are not experiencing a drop at
all. everything seems to be sealed well. I noticed that when you pour
water into the bowl you can hear it trickling out into the drain.
could it be that there is too much water in the bowl?

too much water.... scratching head water is self leveling, and
since the bowl is open at the outlet, I think any 'too much water'
will just exit, and the bowl will only settle at one level.

If you don't see any flushing problems, then maybe you have noisy
pipes. This might be beyond any NG reply, if it's bothering you,
maybe getting a professional to look at it will help you out.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Oct 2006 05:01:18 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

imho:

Are you noticing any drop in tank water level?

I was told that if you drop in a few drops of food coloring in the
tank, and then look in the bowl after a while, it becomes very easy to
determine if you have a leaking valve/seat.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah, I am running out of ideas. this was not a problem a couple weeks
ago when I pulled the toilet. and nothing has changed. its the same
toilet, same pipes, I have a new tile floor and that's about it. my
concern is that there is a restriction at the base of the toilet where
it connects to the flange, due to the wax seal. I don't know.

Tom The Great wrote:
On 13 Oct 2006 05:01:18 -0700, "Jacob" wrote:

I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

imho:

Are you noticing any drop in tank water level?

I was told that if you drop in a few drops of food coloring in the
tank, and then look in the bowl after a while, it becomes very easy to
determine if you have a leaking valve/seat.

later,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

turn off water flush toilet.....

does noise still occur? if so its a drain issue

if not its fresh water tank issue.

this narrows down the noise.

perhaps the tank water level is a bit above the dip tube?

of the flush valve is failing?

that happened here wondered what was going on, then part fatigued off
flush valve.....

flush valve may have been damaged when toilet was pulled the plastic
ones are cheap materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Take the cover off the tank and flush the toilet. Does the water
get to the top of the overflow? I am guessing it does. If so, adjust
your float so the valve shuts off before it reaches the overflow -
there is likely a water level line indicated on the tank wall somewhere
that you can adjust to. Based on your description, I think this is the
most likely culprit.

2. To check for tank leak (bad flapper), as someone suggested - put a
few drops of food color into the tank and leave it alone for 1/2 hr.
Check the bowl - if colored you have a leak. This is great for
checking silent leaks which can be very expensive in places like FL
where water cost is high.

I don't think your issue has anything at all to do with your install.

Jacob wrote:
I just reinstalled my fully functional toilet, with a new wax seal.
after the toilet is flushed and the tank fills up, you can hear water
draining into the drain pipe. the toilet flushes fine. it sounds like
someone pouring bottled water into the pipe. I am thinking that the
drainage from the toilet to the pipe is being restricted by wax. is
this possible and do i need to reinstall the toilet or will the wx
eventually wear away? thanks.

Jacob

Posted to alt.home.repair

the water level in the tank is definitely not reaching the overflow. I
have tried setting the float to it's lowest position an it still does
it. I have found the level at which it does NOT do it, by pulling the
float up manually to stop the water. The level is below the lowest
float setting and I dont think there is enough water in the tank to
flush properly.

it can't be the flapper. if the flapper was leaking then the water
level in the tank would drop and the water would have to kick on when
the float moved down and that doesn't happen. plus the water I hear
running is only for about 30 seconds after the tank fills up. then it
stops and everything is fine until next flush.

I think I may understand what is going on. correct me if i'm wrong. I
think that the wax seal is constricting the flow through the
passageway. when the water level in the bowl falls below the depth of
the seal (after a flush), the vacuum should be relieved and the water
in the passageway should all flow quickly into the drain. instead,
because it is constricted by the wax, it flows slower than it should.
before all of the water can be drained the water level in the bowl
rises above the seal creating a vacuum which stops the draining. at
that point I no longer hear the water draining into the pipe. but not
all of it has drained. this might also explain the water sound when the
water level in the bowl rises without being flushed. the water level
on both sides of the seal will rise equally. when this happens, the
water level on the passageway side rises so something must be
displaced. so the water at the constricted end of the pipe (the end of
the vacuum..?) is displaced into the drain, hence the trickling noise.
does this make sense?

toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
Toilet Draining Out Jeff & Kathy Brown Home Repair 8 February 8th 06 04:21 AM
intermittent weak flush on toilet Timo Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 01:40 PM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
toilet install edee em Home Repair 1 July 12th 03 07:14 PM