Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Remove rusted screw from bath tub overflow/drain stop lever plate

We have a very old Moen shower/tub faucet. The tub drain stop is contoled
by a small lever in the center of the overflow plate. The trip lever
broke. We are trying to replace the lever. After much WD-40, one screw is
removed and it showed very bad rust and corrosion. We are having a lot of
problem with the other screw. The head of the screw is already ruined by
the philip screw driver. I searched on the 'homerepairlive' and don't find
an answer to my question. How do I remove this screw? What tools do I
need?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Retired home maker" wrote in message
news:e67bd19f5c657e6f41e1188e0b9f509f@homerepairli ve.com...
We have a very old Moen shower/tub faucet. The tub drain stop is contoled
by a small lever in the center of the overflow plate. The trip lever
broke. We are trying to replace the lever. After much WD-40, one screw is
removed and it showed very bad rust and corrosion. We are having a lot of
problem with the other screw. The head of the screw is already ruined by
the philip screw driver. I searched on the 'homerepairlive' and don't find
an answer to my question. How do I remove this screw? What tools do I
need?
Thanks.

A spiral screw extractor will do the trick. Here's an example:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd2419.html

You drill a hole into the head of the screw, twist the extractor into place,
and it grips what's left of the screw so you can remove it. Hard to explain,
but easy to understand once you've got the tool in your hand. However: Since
you'll be replacing the assembly anyway, you can probably just drill out the
entire screw. Who cares how much it (and the surrounding plate) are mangled?
Start with a small bit, then work up in size until what's left is destroyed.
Put some paper towels over the drain to keep shard of metal from tangling
with hair and creating yet another problem in the drain. Or, don't do that,
and amaze your spouse with obscenities from other solar systems.

MTD push mower wheel repair - how to remove bolt from Height Adjustment Plate [email protected] Home Repair 5 July 20th 06 06:27 AM
Lever Cap Screw djs Woodworking 8 January 7th 06 06:44 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 26th 05 12:34 AM
How to Remove a Screw? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 September 18th 05 11:52 PM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 12:50 PM