Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas leak at furnace

I smell a bit of natural gas somewhere near my gas forced air furnace
in my basement. I can't seem to locate it.

My question is: WIll the gas company come to my house and do the
detecting for me? Will they fix the leak as part of their service to
customers? I live in upstate NY near Albany.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:30:29 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

I smell a bit of natural gas somewhere near my gas forced air furnace
in my basement. I can't seem to locate it.

My question is: WIll the gas company come to my house and do the
detecting for me?

Yes. Call them immediately.

Will they fix the leak as part of their service to
customers?

If the "fix" just means tightening up some pipes and pipe joints, yes,
they probably will. Rochester Gas & Electric did just this for us 3
years ago when I kept smelling strong gas odor in my basement. The
guy tightened up two or three joints, voila, problem solved.

If, however, you have a faulty furnace or other gas appliance, no,
they won't, and instead, they'll red-tag the appliance until you get
it repaired properly.

Regardless, call them now for the detection service. It's for your
own safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. Call them immediately. Then go to your kitchen and mix up a
big old batch of water with a huge amount of dish detergent in it --
maybe 1:10. Get a brush or rag and go down to your pipes and get
everythign good and wet. All joints. All pipes. Everything. Look
for bubbles. Just don't put out your pilot. Search the whole system
and see if you find it. Check your stove and water heater and the
lines to them, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

Dish detergent is not the best stuff to use to detect leaks. They make
special stuff for this but if your hardware store doesnt sell leak detector
get a big bottle of bubble blowing liquid. OF course you can go around and
tighten all the joints and see if the odor goes away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimmie D" wrote in
:

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

....or create a bunch of new ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Around here they respond FAST to gas odor leak reports, any leaks found
they gas company red tags your home and cut off all gas service.

now you must get a licensed plumber and basically replace all your gas
line.

the requirement is a 90 PSI test for 12 hours, whereas normal gas
pressure is a few ounces.

plumbers charge more to disassemble and clean pipes its cheaper to
just replace all lines...

labor costs more than new gas pipe.

my elderly neighbors had this happen in the winter 4500 bucks got them
fixed in 24 hours...

if you detect a odor yopur better off calling a plumber......

at least in pennsylvania