Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hidden Header

We are renovating our house and want to move the header in a 6' opening on
the first floor. I have heard about hiding the header in the ceiling. I
got an estimate for doing the job for $2000 - not sure if good estimate or
if this is a safe procedure. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
We are renovating our house and want to move the header in a 6' opening on
the first floor. I have heard about hiding the header in the ceiling. I
got an estimate for doing the job for $2000 - not sure if good estimate or
if this is a safe procedure. Thanks

When you say "move the header", I'm assuming you intend to have a
smooth ceiling rather than a section of wall.

Is the header part of a bearing wall?
If it is * not * a bearing wall, the header can be removed without
major work.
It it is part of a bearing wall, there is a lot of collateral
structural work to be considered.

TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

TB, Yes, the header is part of a bearing wall - 6' opening. Understand the
collateral support while the work is being done. Do you feel $2000 is a
reasonable price. Have a deadline and having difficult time getting other
contractors to respond. thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve wrote:
TB, Yes, the header is part of a bearing wall - 6' opening.
Understand the collateral support while the work is being done. Do
you feel $2000 is a reasonable price. Have a deadline and having
difficult time getting other contractors to respond. thanks

The price depends on where you live and the competitive environment. If
you have only gotten one response and the contractor is qualified
(licensed, etc.) then I would say $2000 is cheap, considering you want
to move the header and don't have any alternatives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:59:45 -0500, "Steve"
wrote:

TB, Yes, the header is part of a bearing wall - 6' opening. Understand the
collateral support while the work is being done. Do you feel $2000 is a
reasonable price. Have a deadline and having difficult time getting other
contractors to respond. thanks

"reasonable price" isn't a meaningful question, if you can't get
anyone else to do it at all. Your choice appears to be limited
to (A) Pay the $2000 dollars, or (B) don't do it.
How important is this 12" of overhead space to you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well now you asked the big question - it is one of esthetics (wife's
designer hat) versus my budget hat. Guess I lose. thanks Goedjn