spot weed killer?

Old October 11th 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default spot weed killer?

I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old October 11th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without
harming the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the
best way to do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where
you supposedly walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed
killer directly on the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline
work using a direct applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use
Roundup, but I find that it works too slow. It seems to take a
couple of days for the leaves to begin turning brown. Thanks for any
suggestions.

What weeds? What works for some weeds will not work for others. I
assume that it is a lawn and that you want to not kill the grass.

There are a number of general lawn weed killers that will not kill the
grass (assuming you don't really overdo it) but will kill many kinds of
weeds) Note: always read the label and make sure it is safe on the grass
you have.

WD-40 is a great Water Displacement, a poor lubricant and a very poor
week killer. Gasoline is good at fueling most cars and can kill almost any
living thing, including grass.

Roundup will kill weeds, but it also kills grass and almost anything
else it gets on.

My suggestion is to identify the type(s) of grass you have and the types
of weeds you want to kill. Then with that information you can read the
labels on the available products to select one. You could also contact your
local county extension service and they would be able to offer some unbiased
suggestions good for your local conditions.

Question: Why would it be so important that it work in less than a few
days? Often that is the best solution. You want to kill it all the way to
the root.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old October 11th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"tenplay" wrote in message
. ..
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to do
it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly walk
around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on the weed.
Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct applicator? It
sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that it works too slow.
It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to begin turning brown.
Thanks for any suggestions.

For years now I have been using weed killer on my weeds. I never thought to
try WD40; I bet they wouldn't squeek so badly afterwards. Thanks for the
idea.

Old October 11th 06, 02:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

When you are faced with only spot weeds, pulling by hand is best.
Roundup is sure-fire, and can be brushed on so you don't damage
surrounding lawn or plants and is easy to kill tough weeds. If there
are too many to do that, then a hose-end sprayer with a broadleaf weed
killer works very well. Weed/feed combos are not necessary and are too
much chemical for routine use. Just pulling a couple of weeds might
remove several thousand seeds, so it isn't wasted effort.
Old October 11th 06, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi,
If lawn is healthy weeds can be choked out. What kind of weed?
My lawn is not big in size but I just dig it out when I see weed.
Old October 11th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

tenplay wrote:
I would like to zap weeds growing in the lawn and garden without harming
the grass and plants growing around the weeds. What is the best way to
do it? I saw something called a Weed Stick online, where you supposedly
walk around injecting any kind of concentrated weed killer directly on
the weed. Anyone try it? Would WD40 or gasoline work using a direct
applicator? It sounds like a lot of folks use Roundup, but I find that
it works too slow. It seems to take a couple of days for the leaves to
begin turning brown. Thanks for any suggestions.

I gave up carpet-bombing my lawn with "Weed and Feed" products because
my trees were suffering for it. Instead, I now use two ounces of
2,4-D + mecoprop + dicambra concentrate per gallon in a pump sprayer
and leisurely walk around the yard spot-spraying broadleaf weeds. It's
so amazingly satisfying to soak a weed and KNOW it will be wilting the
next day, and dead in a week. I maintain my 2-acre lawn this way.
Takes about 40 minutes to walk the whole 2 acres. I do this about four
times during the active growing season. Every year the lawn looks
better and better.

When used properly it won't hurt your grass. Don't spray it on shrubs
though.

Buy the stuff (any brand will do - just make sure to read the label and
check the concentration) at Walmart in late September when they are
clearing the shelves. You can get it for less than half price - 3
bucks a quart. I use about 2 quarts a year for 2 acres plus killing
poison ivy and brush along some wooded trails.

Old October 11th 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones wrote:
tenplay wrote:

[...]

Hope no children of pets play in your yard! Think environment. Week
killer is most effective whe they are vigorously growing.

Old October 11th 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hope no children of pets play in your yard! Think environment.

I hope you don't play golf or take your children to the park.

I hope you don't have a swimming pool or stay in hotels.

I hope you never buy groceries at Publix or Winn-Dixie or Kroger or
Meijer or WalMart.

Old October 11th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hope no children of pets play in your yard!

My pet has no children.