DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fluorescent amperage (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/178441-fluorescent-amperage.html)

Father Haskell October 7th 06 07:39 PM

Fluorescent amperage

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

Terry October 7th 06 09:15 PM

Fluorescent amperage

On 7 Oct 2006 10:39:25 -0700, "Father Haskell"
wrote:

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much is drawn once the lights are running?

I don't know

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

15A x 120V = 1800W
You can only use 80% 1800W x 0.8 = 1400W
(2x40) = 80W per fixture
1400W / 80W = 18

18

Tazz October 7th 06 09:16 PM

Fluorescent amperage

15a x 80% = 12 a.
Different ballasts will have a small margin in amp draw per ballast.

Does it not say on the ballast amps?

Beachcomber October 7th 06 09:59 PM

Fluorescent amperage

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

I have an old textbook that says to allow 20% of the total lamp
wattage rating for power to the ballast. That would mean 1.20 x 2 x
40 watts = 96 watts total power consumed (not appartent power) for a
simple dual-40 fixture.

Maybe the new electronic ballasts are more efficient than this?

Beachcomber

Terry October 7th 06 10:07 PM

Fluorescent amperage

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:59:33 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

I have an old textbook that says to allow 20% of the total lamp
wattage rating for power to the ballast. That would mean 1.20 x 2 x
40 watts = 96 watts total power consumed (not appartent power) for a
simple dual-40 fixture.

Maybe the new electronic ballasts are more efficient than this?

Beachcomber

That is lamp wattage. Not the ballast.

Tazz October 7th 06 10:30 PM

Fluorescent amperage

The electronics are a lot better.
Less amp draw
Less heat
The frequency on the output of the ballasts driving the lamps makes it
better on the eyes.
On the ones I have installed anyway.

RickR October 7th 06 11:55 PM

Fluorescent amperage

Most building codes require limiting lighting to 80% of the circuit
load. The idea is that it could be on for long time and things will
heat up. It also allows for the fairly minor start-up issues. For a 15A
breaker at 120V thats 1440watts.

Your ballast should state it's amperage on the lable. Beachcombers 96W
is about right. Any way you look at it you get quite a few fixtures! If
you are running many fixtures for any length of time you can save a lot
of money with new fixtures. ( 2 "T8" lamps, give more light, last
longer and usually need about 0.52 amps. That's almost half the power!)

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views

Mark Lloyd October 8th 06 12:43 AM

Fluorescent amperage

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:16:36 GMT, Tazz wrote:

15a x 80% = 12 a.

and `1800W x`80% = 1440W.

Different ballasts will have a small margin in amp draw per ballast.

Does it not say on the ballast amps?

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Father Haskell October 8th 06 02:30 AM

Fluorescent amperage

Beachcomber wrote:
How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

I have an old textbook that says to allow 20% of the total lamp
wattage rating for power to the ballast. That would mean 1.20 x 2 x
40 watts = 96 watts total power consumed (not appartent power) for a
simple dual-40 fixture.

So I could just round up to a nice, easy 100 watts per fixture and
calculate from there. Thanks.

Tom The Great October 8th 06 02:51 PM

Fluorescent amperage

wrote:

How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

I believe you need to check each ballast power rating, not the bulbs.

Also, you have to figure if the usage is continous, or not continous
loads.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

[email protected] October 8th 06 03:17 PM

Fluorescent amperage

Fluroscents use little power I have about 20 in my shop on a single 15
AMP breaker.

The starting current is no doubt higher than run but the typical
breaker carries the load fine, like a slo blow fuse..

my fixtures are all old cheap ones dating back to about 1983 or so when
i started my business

Don Klipstein October 8th 06 09:29 PM

Fluorescent amperage

In article .com,
Father Haskell wrote:
How much current is drained by a 2x 40 watt T12 magnetic ballasted
shop light trough at peak current draw? I assume this is at startup,
while trying to saturate the transformer and ignite the tubes. How
much
is drawn once the lights are running?

Short version: How many such fixtures (too cheap to replace
the old ones) can be run on a 15 amp circuit?

The USA-usual "traditional" high power factor 2xF40T12 rapid start
ballast that is about 8.25 inches long, 9.5 inches long including the
mounting flanges, 2.25 inches wide, 1.5 inches thick, rated "Class P"
(having a thermal cutout), and noted as having "high power factor"
typically draws .8 amp when the lamps are running and less when the lamps
are starting.

I would not push the limit of the circuit. Somehow I would rather not
put more than 12 of these on a circuit, and first actually read a ballast
label for the current draw.

http://www.codebookcity.com/codearti...article210.htm - with a
few notes from the National Electrical Code - states that a continuous
load shall not exceed 80% of the rating of the circuit.

If the ballast has a shorted internal series capacitor, then it will
draw much more - I would hazard to guess 1.5 to 2 amps. The "Class P"
thermal cutout switch will not always cycle on and off when that happens,
but lamp life is usually noticeably reduced and the lamps may not look
much brighter. However, I consider it a safe bet that probably none to
at worst few of your fixtures will have that problem, and never will most
have it before you notice and replace the ballasts.

The shorter length ballasts used in cheap shop lights can do anything,
but usualy draw similar current (near or somewhat under an amp), usually
result in less light output, sometimes maybe often result in shorter lamp
life, and often require the fixture to be suspended in mid-air (such
fixtures usually come with chains) so that the ballasts do not overheat.
Those ballasts are sometimes called "residential grade", and my
impression is that a better name for such grade is "stool specimen".

- Don Klipstein )

Father Haskell October 8th 06 11:34 PM

Fluorescent amperage

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article .com,
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

25 x 30 ft. shop has two 15 amp lighting circuits currently supporting
2
2 x FT40 fluorescents each. Would like to increase that to 4, maybe 8
fixtures per circuit, plus spot and task lights. The latter can be CFL
or
some other high efficiency lamp. I really only need to spot illuminate

the tiny area where a cutting tool meets a workpiece; 20 watt krypton
spots might work better than fine enough.

[...]

Again, the short story is, I'm not eager to replace my 100% reliable
30 year old Sears lamps with Lights of America junk from HD.

[email protected] October 9th 06 12:39 AM

Fluorescent amperage

Again, the short story is, I'm not eager to replace my 100% reliable
30 year old Sears lamps with Lights of America junk from HD.

my fixtures date back to 1983 or thereabouts, other than a couple
broken sockets and new lamps never a problem.

George E. Cawthon October 9th 06 05:34 AM

Fluorescent amperage

Don Klipstein wrote:
In article .com,
Father Haskell wrote:
[...]

Humbug. I have a bunch of these "cheap lights"
three currently operate in my garage/workshop, the
others have been used for Grolux operation. Never
had a problem with any of them. And yes, the
fixtures including bulbs cost less than a
replacement ballast from an electric shop.

RickR October 9th 06 06:18 PM

Fluorescent amperage

The replacement question is mostly related to how much time you have
them on. If you're a business then you can pay for new top quality
fixtures in year or two (depending on lots of other factors.) If its a
home shop that runs 10 hours a week, keep your old stuff.

1000 watts (10 fixtures) x 10 hours x 50 weeks = 500 kilo-watt-hours
(KWH) at $0.15 (high guess) = $75 per year for power. You could save
the price of one good fixture a year.

Raise that to 50 or 75 hours a week and you start getting somewhere.

BTW you don't have to buy the same type of old fixtures, or the
el-cheapo HD. There are lots of good fixtures out there.

RickR

[email protected] October 9th 06 07:12 PM

Fluorescent amperage

My plan when I get some time, my shop is my basement often I am JUST
passing thru, not doing any detail work.

But each time I must turn on ALL the lights.

So I am going to split the light circuit, just a few for walking thru,
a second switch for being here doing something that needs brite lights.

Over time this will certinally save me replacement fluroscent bulbs and
some power.

Probably way more money than replacing all my lights I have at least 15
fixtures plus a couple spares.

whatyever I do I will wire it that turning off main lights kills
everything so I cant accidently wonder off leaving machines heating:(

I have a buddy who left a soldering iron on while on a weeks vacation,
lucky he still had a home when he got back.......

michael h January 27th 21 09:00 PM

Fluorescent amperage

is that for running wattage and starting wattage? I'm working on finding how much generator we require, if everything was on at once....

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-154003-.htm

[email protected] January 27th 21 11:10 PM

Fluorescent amperage

On Wed, 27 Jan 2021 20:00:59 +0000, michael h
wrote:

is that for running wattage and starting wattage? I'm working on finding how much generator we require, if everything was on at once....

Running. This also depends on whether they are magnetic or electronic
ballasts.
If it is that important I would start phasing in direct wire LED
lamps. Typically lighting is not going to be the biggest driver of
your load tho unless lights are the only thing on the genset. I would
look more at motor starts.

Rod Speed January 28th 21 05:40 AM

Fluorescent amperage

michael h wrote

is that for running wattage and starting wattage? I'm working on finding
how much generator we require, if everything was on at once....

He is unlikely to be still reading 14 years later.

Peeler[_4_] January 28th 21 10:23 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:40:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

He is unlikely to be still reading 14 years later.

But you are very likely to respond to it with yet another senile comment of
yours, senile sociopath!