Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weatherproofing Corrugated Cardboard

I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.

I'd probably try some Kamp Dry. Sporting goods or camping stores will
have. Might be tough to wet down corrugation's. Maybe if exposed you
could put hot melt adhesive on seams.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco spake thus:

I have some corrugated cardboard halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when they got a little wet, they
curled and "melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was constant rain. Does
anyone know of a way to waterproof the cardboard? The surface is black
colored paper. Interrnally, it is like any other corrugated cardboard.

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Made a really kewl flying
saucer out of cardboard, complete with flashing lights, and put it
outside with a couple of "aliens".

Then the rains came and ruined it. Became one soggy mass of painted
cardboard, slumped over the bushes. Very sad.

No, there's no practical way to prevent this. Use something else or
don't put it outside. (You *could* cover it in many coats of epoxy paint
or fiberglass, but then you would no longer be working with just
cardboard.) Sorry.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.

You can try varnish or several other products that will slow down the
process, but it still will get in the edges and that will be the end of it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

I have some corrugated cardboard halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when they got a little wet, they
curled and "melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was constant rain. Does
anyone know of a way to waterproof the cardboard? The surface is black
colored paper. Interrnally, it is like any other corrugated cardboard.

Maybe get some ideas from he
http://www.monkeyc.org/dome/index.html

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:

I have some corrugated cardboard halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when they got a little wet, they
curled and "melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was constant rain. Does
anyone know of a way to waterproof the cardboard? The surface is black
colored paper. Interrnally, it is like any other corrugated cardboard.

Could you wrap them in something like extra wide Saran Wrap?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.

Have you tried Thompson's Water Seal?

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
I have some corrugated cardboard halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when they got a little wet, they
curled and "melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was constant rain. Does
anyone know of a way to waterproof the cardboard? The surface is black
colored paper. Interrnally, it is like any other corrugated cardboard.

There is a plastic version - formed like corrugated, but all plastic. I
would check craft stores for a more suitable surface. There is also a
painting ground, for oil or acryllic, made like masonite but with a
"primer" on it. Probably would only have to waterproof the edge, if
anything. I can't imagine anything that would reliably coat the inside
and outside of corrugated cardboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message

It's pretty easy to do with canning wax and a big paint brush. Melt the
wax in a double-boiler and brush it onto the cardboard slowly so it
soaks in while it's still molten.

Commercially, corrugated is wax dipped for waterproofing for the seafood
industry. Your idea should work well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joshua Putnam spake thus:

In article ,
says...

I have some corrugated cardboard
halloween decorations that I would like
to put out on the lawn. Last year, when
they got a little wet, they curled and
"melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was
constant rain. Does anyone know of a
way to waterproof the cardboard? The
surface is black colored paper.
Interrnally, it is like any other
corrugated cardboard.

It's pretty easy to do with canning wax and a big paint brush. Melt the
wax in a double-boiler and brush it onto the cardboard slowly so it
soaks in while it's still molten. (The thermal mass of wax in the brush
will keep it hot longer -- if you brush too fast, it will solidify
before it penetrates.) Take extra care on the edges to make sure it
soaks into the center corrugation as well as the outer layers. Then
make a second, faster pass over the edges that will block the
passageways so water can run inside.

Of all this suggestions given, this is the only one that has even a
*chance* of working. I know, because my Halloween project was
practically saturated with paint, and it did *nothing* go prevent it
turning into a soggy mess. But even the wax might not do it.

I guess the only sure way to do this would be to use some kind of
plastic (someone suggested the cardboard-like corrugated stuff).

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
m...
I have some corrugated cardboard halloween decorations that I would like to
put out on the lawn. Last year, when they got a little wet, they curled
and "melted" a bit. BTW, las Halloween was constant rain. Does anyone
know of a way to waterproof the cardboard? The surface is black colored
paper. Interrnally, it is like any other corrugated cardboard.

Instead of using cardboard, use coroplast. Same construction as cardboard
but made of vinyl instead of paper. Getting paint to stick may be another
issue though. Art supply shops & framing places might have it.

DAGS for coroplast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:33:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Joshua Putnam" wrote in message

It's pretty easy to do with canning wax and a big paint brush. Melt the
wax in a double-boiler and brush it onto the cardboard slowly so it
soaks in while it's still molten.

Commercially, corrugated is wax dipped for waterproofing for the seafood
industry. Your idea should work well.

I have unloaded many a Corrugated Cardboard box of vegetables that
were soaking wet and covered with ice. It will hold up if done
correctly. No doubts