Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question: wood pallet for shed floor?

I have a 10 ft x 12 ft metal garden shed to be assembled. The ground
is sloped and I had graded it to level, somewhat like a wedge of dirt
where the shed will be. I will need something to anchor the shed to
the ground. The thought came up that perhaps I can join a few wood
pallets to form a base on which to nail down a plywood floor. Then
build the shed on that. How resistant to rot will the pallet wood be?
The mound will never have any standing water. Where I am is too cold
for termites. I have some old pallets that have been out in the
backyard for the last 8 years. They look a kind of weathered greyish
but no rot. Any precautions I should consider?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
PaPaPeng wrote:

I have a 10 ft x 12 ft metal garden shed to be assembled. The ground
is sloped and I had graded it to level, somewhat like a wedge of dirt
where the shed will be. I will need something to anchor the shed to
the ground. The thought came up that perhaps I can join a few wood
pallets to form a base on which to nail down a plywood floor. Then
build the shed on that. How resistant to rot will the pallet wood be?
The mound will never have any standing water. Where I am is too cold
for termites. I have some old pallets that have been out in the
backyard for the last 8 years. They look a kind of weathered greyish
but no rot. Any precautions I should consider?

Well, if you get some new pallets of the same type as the old ones, then
they should last at least 8 years, right?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.
Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to alt.home.repair

PaPaPeng wrote:
I have a 10 ft x 12 ft metal garden shed to be assembled. The ground
is sloped and I had graded it to level, somewhat like a wedge of dirt
where the shed will be. I will need something to anchor the shed to
the ground. The thought came up that perhaps I can join a few wood
pallets to form a base on which to nail down a plywood floor. Then
build the shed on that. How resistant to rot will the pallet wood be?
The mound will never have any standing water. Where I am is too cold
for termites. I have some old pallets that have been out in the
backyard for the last 8 years. They look a kind of weathered greyish
but no rot. Any precautions I should consider?

They sell a floor kit for all the metal sheds I've seen, I'd buy one of
those, put pressure treated plywood on it and set the whole thing on
concrete blocks.
The pallets WILL rot.
The pallets WILL NOT make a truly flat and stable foundation for the
shed.

I've found it to be easier and less expensive to do things right the
first time.

Just my opinion.

ps. Termites got jackets,.... just so you know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

I have a 10 ft x 12 ft metal garden shed to be assembled. The ground
is sloped and I had graded it to level, somewhat like a wedge of dirt
where the shed will be. I will need something to anchor the shed to
the ground. The thought came up that perhaps I can join a few wood
pallets to form a base on which to nail down a plywood floor. Then
build the shed on that. How resistant to rot will the pallet wood be?

Pallets will rot like any other plain wood. Get pressure treated or use
concrete blocks for supports. Do it right and you only have to do it once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PaPaPeng wrote:
Where I am is too cold
for termites.

then it is cold enough for frost heave heave, which is altogether
another nightmare that *I* am trying to fix on an existing attached
garage

I have some old pallets that have been out in the
backyard for the last 8 years. They look a kind of weathered greyish
but no rot.

out in the backyard is not the same as standing on the ground, the soil
will trap moisture and the pallets will rot.

Idealy, you want to put about 2-4" of styrofoam to avoid frost heave,
then whatever support structure you want for the floor. preferably of
something that will withstand the worst contditions. I'm planning
concrete for mine