Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maple Flooring

I would like to put Maple Hardwood flooring in our house in Canada.
Does any one know where the prices are good in B.C. for hardwood
flooring?
Also I was considering using Bamboo flooring
Except they use allot of Formaldehyde in the glues. Any feedback?

Anami

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know much about Bamboo, except that they're saying it's
environmentally friendly because it grows so quickly.

I'm located in Alberta, and can get a decent maple hardwood, 3/4", for
$4.00-$5.00 per foot. You can spend more or less than that, but at
that price, I get a decent quality wood, pieces that are random length
and between 18" - 60", and a relatively durable finish. Sometimes you
might get lucky and find a discontinued colour lot, or a special
milling, for less money. Even the big box stores have some deals out
there from time to time.

If you're getting stained maple, don't forget to ask that all of the
boxes come from the same stain lot, and always work from several open
boxes at once in case there's some colour variation.

Good luck!

Maurice

Posted to alt.home.repair

maurice wrote:
Don't know much about Bamboo, except that they're saying it's
environmentally friendly because it grows so quickly.

Yes I read that also. Then when I went to buy some I found out there is
allot of Glue used.

I'm located in Alberta, and can get a decent maple hardwood, 3/4", for
$4.00-$5.00 per foot.

I was hoping to find some for about 3.00 per foot due to the large
volume.

You can spend more or less than that, but at
that price, I get a decent quality wood, pieces that are random length
and between 18" - 60"

I saw some for 2.15 per foot but it was all around 24 inches long. I
thought it would look mish mash in a large room. I would like some 6
foot lengths. I still talk in inches and am not metric yet !

, and a relatively durable finish. Sometimes you
might get lucky and find a discontinued colour lot, or a special
milling, for less money.

I will check that out.

Even the big box stores have some deals out
there from time to time.

I guess it takes awhile to come across the deals.

If you're getting stained maple, don't forget to ask that all of the
boxes come from the same stain lot, and always work from several open
boxes at once in case there's some colour variation.

Thank you so much for the tip. Would not have thought of it !

Good luck!

How kind of you !

Maurice

Anami

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anami wrote:

Also I was considering using Bamboo flooring
Except they use allot of Formaldehyde in the glues. Any feedback?

I worried about that too. Also I don't see how you can refinish stuff
that is held together with glue instead of being sold.

I found some information on the pros and cons of doing this here. You
may find it helpful.

http://www.saferbuilding.com/info/factsheet.php?id=fact-flor-matl-000

Joe C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in Powell River, BC. We have a place called Theiden Forest products,
Not sure about that spelling, could look it up if you were interested, they
make and sell maple, alder, fir, flooring, last time I checked it was $3.25
sq. ft. for 2 1/2" maple, unfinished. I work in a lot of new houses, look
great, contractors love it.

"Anami" wrote in message
ps.com...