Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door opener light stays on

It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle.
Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering
iron, I will.
Liz
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Liz MacDonald wrote:
It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle.
Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering
iron, I will.

Liz, first guess would be it's the relay sticking 'cause if it were the
timer would more likely not still work on occasion. Also have an
ancient Stanley, don't have a clue from just the model number how close
it might be (and has also been a while since I had the case open), but
iirc, there are three(?) relays on the board, one of which controls the
light(s). Might check sometime when it's stuck "on" to see if a light
tap on that relay turns it off. Replacing the relay would likely fix
it if so. The wiring is easily accessible on mine anyway to trace
which is the proper relay. I actually don't know offhand whether the
timer circuit is something like a 555 or part of the processor, I've
never had need to investigate.

Of course, the opposite way to "fix it" is to simply take the bulb out
and forego the light (if you have other light or the time-delay off on
the car, anyway).

HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:45:01 GMT, Liz MacDonald wrote:

It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle.
Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering
iron, I will.

If it's got a relay, it may be sticking. I suppose you could remove the
plastic cap on the relay to get to the points, and clean them with contact
cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Liz MacDonald wrote:
It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing
cycle. Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a
soldering iron, I will.
Liz

Or, you could replace the bulb with a 6-watt florescent. Even if it stayed
on 24/7, it would only cost two cents a day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thanks Garage door opener light stays on

I just came back to say thanks for your responses. Now I'm waiting for
it to stay on again.
Liz

Liz MacDonald wrote:
It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except
the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle.
Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering
iron, I will.
Liz

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Liz MacDonald" wrote in message
I just came back to say thanks for your responses. Now I'm waiting for it
to stay on again.
Liz

Secret from the Guy's Black Book of Repairs: Sometimes things get fixed
when you yell at them so loud that it hurts your ears. Strange, but true.

Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Changing a light bulb on R.C.M Tom Gardner Metalworking 24 June 6th 04 12:58 AM
add a light in bedrooms tweety Home Repair 17 March 11th 04 11:22 AM
changing a light bulb Joe Home Repair 6 March 8th 04 06:30 PM
Installing power sockets and light into an adjacent garage Andy Hide UK diy 0 July 21st 03 10:00 AM