Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery or charger bad?

I bought a 9.6v Ryobi from Home Depot but hardly use it. The battery
does not seem to charge because it lasts only a minute or so now. The
yellow light on the charger has never come on, just the red "charging"
light. How can I tell if the battery is bad or the charger? TIA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
I bought a 9.6v Ryobi from Home Depot but hardly use it. The battery
does not seem to charge because it lasts only a minute or so now. The
yellow light on the charger has never come on, just the red
"charging" light. How can I tell if the battery is bad or the
charger? TIA.

Chances are it is the battery. They don't like to set around unused for
a long time.

I suggest buying a new battery and trying it out. You likely need one
and if it turns out that it was the charger, you can get one of those and
you will have a spare battery. That is better than a spare charger.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote in
:

I bought a 9.6v Ryobi from Home Depot but hardly use it. The battery
does not seem to charge because it lasts only a minute or so now. The
yellow light on the charger has never come on, just the red "charging"
light. How can I tell if the battery is bad or the charger? TIA.

I got one of those Ryobi's for doing inside stuff when I didn't want to be
handling an 18v Rigid. Used it a lot. Didn't take long before the same
thing happened. I went through the trouble of sending it back to a Ryobi
service center and got a new battery under warranty free. After the
warranty expired so did the replacement I got.

I know they are **** get what you pay fors but didn't expect that. Not even
worth buying it as "if it lasts for a year I got my moneys worth".

In your case, since you use it so infrequently, the battery may have
discharged to low for too long and it's hosed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Stubby wrote:
I bought a 9.6v Ryobi from Home Depot but hardly use it. The battery
does not seem to charge because it lasts only a minute or so now. The
yellow light on the charger has never come on, just the red
"charging" light. How can I tell if the battery is bad or the
charger? TIA.

Chances are it is the battery. They don't like to set around unused for
a long time.

I suggest buying a new battery and trying it out. You likely need one
and if it turns out that it was the charger, you can get one of those and
you will have a spare battery. That is better than a spare charger.

One trick that often works is to zap the 9.6 v battery with a 12 volt
car battery for 5-10 seconds. The sudden rush of current will melt the
crystal dendrills that form thru the electrolite and discharge some
cells. After the zap, if you have full voltage on the battery (check
with a voltmeter!) then the battery will charge normally on the charger
and work in use. The fix won't last forever, you'll probably have to
zap it every time you want to charge it because the crystals punched a
hole in the separator that will allow the crystals to regrow. If your
use is infrequent you can live with it for years.

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to alt.home.repair

If its nicad put a voltmeter on the battery after charging , it should
be 1.35v, 1.2 is discharged, I have 20 yr Makita packs that still work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was wrong each cell would be 1.35v, , its 8 cell and full charge is
10.8v. 9.6 is actualy discharged

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:
I bought a 9.6v Ryobi from Home Depot but hardly use it. The battery
does not seem to charge because it lasts only a minute or so now. The
yellow light on the charger has never come on, just the red "charging"
light. How can I tell if the battery is bad or the charger? TIA.

You can test it with a voltmeter. A 9.6v battery has 8 cells of 1.2 V
each. If shortly after charging the voltage drops below 9.6, cells have
shorted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
I was wrong each cell would be 1.35v, , its 8 cell and full charge is
10.8v. 9.6 is actualy discharged

Yeah, you need a pretty good meter to determine state of charge.
However, a sudden drop to below 9.6 is a pretty certain indication of a
shorted cell.

This guy has a pretty good graph of voltage as the cell discharges.
Much of the time it will be reading about 1.2 volts but once it hits the
"knee" it drops fast. Discharge to that point should be avoided because
it can result in reverse current through any weak cells.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/techbat.htm