Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hunter Ceiing Fan Junk

I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mstrspy, 10/2/2006, 8:47:45 AM,
wrote:

I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

I have had the same experience with the new Hunter I bought. It
wobbles and no matter how I try to balance it the thing is unsteady. I
have checked all mechanical connections from the ceiling down and
cannot do anything more. The Hampton Bay I installed at the same time
is flush mount and it is noisier than the Hunter. I don't like either
one of them. The two older Hunters I have are very quiet and run
smoothly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mstrspy" wrote in message
I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

Casablanca's another high quality unit, but they've got a reputation for
being expensive. This begs the question "What is a normal price range for
good ceiling fans?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

bean counters must of taken over hunter, sad how they kill products and
companies.

with the internet such quality and exchange of info can get spread fast
with bad results for the company.

hopefully this will help overal qualty over time with all products

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had exactly the opposite experience. I installed two Hunter fans
that worked great and now three Hampton Bay fans that suck. The
Hampton Bay fans will not balance and although they were easier to
install, the click-in blades were badly scratched by the install
process. The third time, I used my bench grinder to polish the top
sides of the blade holders so it wouldn't scratch the fake wood grain.
After careful balancing and leveling the blades vertically, they will
now work on medium speed but forget high speed. Total crap.

-rev

mstrspy wrote:
I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
oups.com...

mstrspy wrote:
[...]

I often wonder if some manufacturers contract work out to a different
Chinese factory every 3 or 11 months, depending on who comes up with the
lowest bid. It's nauseating to think of other reasons for the
inconsistencies described by different people in this discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure it's exactly that, and we've come to expect a certain degree
of it. What really made me angry with the Hampton Bay fans was the
blade holders were defective by design and the warranty specifically
excludes balance problems. So if the manufacturer of the week got it
wrong, the company wrote off any responsibility.

-rev

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I often wonder if some manufacturers contract work out to a different
Chinese factory every 3 or 11 months, depending on who comes up with the
lowest bid. It's nauseating to think of other reasons for the
inconsistencies described by different people in this discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You hit the nail on the head. Hampton Bay, Home Depot's brand is actually
made by a number of small companies, some are excellent and some not. Hunter
use to make a very heavy duty lifetime fan, but I think it just cost to much
and they probably wanted to supply to a cheaper market, which made sense
after their purchase of the Casablanca fan company, which sells high
quality, wicked expensive fans

mstrspy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:26:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
roups.com...

mstrspy wrote:
[...]

My new Hunter was made by the company that puts lots of humm in them.

Terrible but not worth taking down and replacing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 12:47:45 GMT, mstrspy wrote:

I recently purchased the Hunter Ceiling Fan model that flush mounts to
the ceiling. What a piece of junk. There was absolutely no way that
you could secure the motor such that it wouldn't rock in the mount.
Just hangs in a slot.
I returned it to Home deopt and got a Hampton Bay. The Hamton Bay was
(1) Less Money than the Hunter
(2) Easier to install
(3) Looks better
(4) Secure and doesn't rock or sway

I am really dissapointed in Hunter Fans. I have one in my porch that I
installed 15 years ago and it is great. Aparently Hunter must have a
design engineer who is looking to cut corners to save money. They will
go out of business if they keep this up.

I bought an el cheapo fan at Home Depot for $10. It looks great, has
a light and has been running for 8 years without wobble, noise, or
operation. I also have a Hunter fan (paid $80+35 for the lamp kit)
for it--the parts are beefier but you really can't tell unless you
look closely. The tough part is the proper installation. The
Casablanca fans came with the house and they have worked for over 13
years. Maybe your fan is not balanced?