Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof exhaust fan with too much exhaust

My roof exhaust is too powerful. When the electrician set it up he asked whether
I want it to full power or half. It was set to full power.

The exhaust fan takes two 230V lines. What if one 230V line is disconnected will
it be half power or will I damage to fan? I am sure to get a fully qualified
answer one would have to inspect the connections and such but generally speaking
would disconnection the other 230V line be the usual solution? I am thinking of
just shutting the breakers to the other line.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It doesn't work that way. It is probably a 230 volt motor and has two
speeds, which are internally changed. Have him or an electrician come and
reconnect it for the lower speed

"John" wrote in message
My roof exhaust is too powerful. When the electrician set it up he asked
whether
I want it to full power or half. It was set to full power.

The exhaust fan takes two 230V lines. What if one 230V line is
disconnected will
it be half power or will I damage to fan? I am sure to get a fully
qualified
answer one would have to inspect the connections and such but generally
speaking
would disconnection the other 230V line be the usual solution? I am
thinking of
just shutting the breakers to the other line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
It doesn't work that way. It is probably a 230 volt motor and has two
speeds, which are internally changed. Have him or an electrician come and
reconnect it for the lower speed

Also ask if possible if he can wire up the 2 speeds to a switch you can
control downstairs. So on really hot days you can turn it up to full
speed and other days you can have it on low speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

It doesn't work that way. It is probably a 230 volt motor and has two
speeds, which are internally changed. Have him or an electrician come and
reconnect it for the lower speed

I scrambled up and looked its specification plate. It says "Y/A 380/220 V"
What does that mean? The motor is at least 30 years old if not older.

"John" wrote in message
.. .
My roof exhaust is too powerful. When the electrician set it up he asked
whether
I want it to full power or half. It was set to full power.

The exhaust fan takes two 230V lines. What if one 230V line is
disconnected will
it be half power or will I damage to fan? I am sure to get a fully
qualified
answer one would have to inspect the connections and such but generally
speaking
would disconnection the other 230V line be the usual solution? I am
thinking of
just shutting the breakers to the other line.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Mikepier wrote:

RBM (remove this) wrote:

It doesn't work that way. It is probably a 230 volt motor and has two
speeds, which are internally changed. Have him or an electrician come and
reconnect it for the lower speed

Also ask if possible if he can wire up the 2 speeds to a switch you can
control downstairs. So on really hot days you can turn it up to full
speed and other days you can have it on low speed.

If it's thermostatically controlled, how can it exhaust "too much?"

Just adjust the thermostat.

If there's no thermostat, get one installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

the notation means that it probaly came from germany and has poles
inside that can be rewired for a different voltage. this has already
been done as we don't use 380 in america.

Empresser #124457

The best Games

John wrote:
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

It doesn't work that way. It is probably a 230 volt motor and has two
speeds, which are internally changed. Have him or an electrician come and
reconnect it for the lower speed

I scrambled up and looked its specification plate. It says "Y/A 380/220 V"
What does that mean? The motor is at least 30 years old if not older.

.. .