Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Orange Peel Texture? "Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" also "California Knock-down"

I'm interested in applying some "Orange Peel" texture to two ceilings in my
house and was wondering if someone could help me out with what I need to
know. The texture may also be called "Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" or
"California Knock-down" you can see a picture of what I want here
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I need any information you can provide or possible some of the questions
answered.

1) What should the consistancy of the mud be? Thickness?
2) What orfice size should I use on the hopper.
3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?
4) What distance do I spray from?
5) How long is the dry time before I try and Knock down the sprayed mud?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

I use mud that's the same consistency for the ceiling as the walls.
After applying the mud, wait 10 to 15 minutes (just til it starts to
firm up from drying) and drag the ceilings with an item called a Magic
Trowel. Basically it's a 2' wide squeegee. I've seen them at Sherwin
Williams, BORGs and the like go here
http://www.texmaster.com/magictrowel.html to see what it can do. I
like mine and have used it many times.

Make sure you have a large compressor, I've never paid much attention
to the pressure, if you don't have one purchase a small regulator and
fasten it to the inlet of the hopper, so you can adjust the air flow
from where you stand. It seems like each job is a bit different
depending on the viscosity of the mud...I'm sure the pros have a
recipe...me only do a couple of rooms at a time...the mud will flow
from the mixing paddle.

Experiment with the orifice size, I believe mine's set on 7/16 or there
about. But I like smaller texture patterns. Distance, you'll be able
to tell if the mud doesn't hit the wall, your're too far away, if
you're too close the air from the hopper nozzle will blow the mud
around the wall surface. If you're brave, take a small section of
wall, spray it with the gun, evaluate it, take a wide tape knife and
scrape it off adjust and do it again until you get it like you want.
Keep in mind that the size of the actual texturing will be smaller when
dried than when applied.

A couple of resources for you:
http://www.fantastictools.com/pages/drywall_knockdown_knives.htm for
drywall tools and equipment, hang out and suckup what the pros say at
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4 I'll caution
you though, they don't like DIY'ers posting they can be harsh. The
moderator has published this book
http://www.amazon.com/Drywall-Professional-Techniques-Walls-Ceilings/dp/156158133X
and while there are many low level items in the book, there's also some
really good tips.

Alternatively from what there is to learn to be successful with this
process, it would seem like the $10 he's asking on his site, might be
well worth it.

Good luck...

DAC

HotRod wrote:
I'm interested in applying some "Orange Peel" texture to two ceilings in my
house and was wondering if someone could help me out with what I need to
know. The texture may also be called "Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" or
"California Knock-down" you can see a picture of what I want here
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I need any information you can provide or possible some of the questions
answered.

1) What should the consistancy of the mud be? Thickness?
2) What orfice size should I use on the hopper.
3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?
4) What distance do I spray from?
5) How long is the dry time before I try and Knock down the sprayed mud?

Posted to alt.home.repair

THANKS that helps a lot. I may give it a shot on a wall or other area first

Posted to alt.home.repair

A few answers:

1) What should the consistency of the mud be? Thickness?

Somewhere between pancake batter and latex paint. It should pour
out of your mixing bucket easily.

2) What orifice size should I use on the hopper.

What size blobs do you want? I'd start with the big tip, set on
about the 2nd or 3rd largest hole based on the photo you showed.

3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?

Start at 25-30 pounds. If the mud is stiff you may need to up the
pressure slightly. Small rental units don't give much choice.

4) What distance do I spray from?

Start out about 4 feet away from the wall. One of the biggest
problems is a tendency to paint the wall. You are only trying to
splatter a few dots, not coat the wall. It will look too skimpy,
especially as it dries. DO NOT WORRY about the color, give an
honest look at blobs per square foot, size of blobs, fairly
uniform pattern of blobs on the entire wall. Ignore the tape and
bed joints, they will be all white. Try to work one wall at a
time and quit at the corners. Pick out a short wall to start till
you get the timing and bugs worked out. You can shoot more blobs
if some area is light.

5) How long is the dry time before I try and Knock down the
sprayed mud?

Depends on humidity, temperature, tools, etc. Wait too long as a
general rule and give it more pressure. If you get on it too
early, it is really easy to pull "runners". You may not even feel
like you are doing much. Wipe the knife edge every stroke with
another trowel. The large plastic triangles allow you to get on
the walls a bit earlier than a steel drywall knife.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"HotRod" wrote in message
I'm interested in applying some "Orange Peel" texture to two
ceilings in my house and was wondering if someone could help me
out with what I need to know. The texture may also be called
"Knockdown" or "Skip Trowel" or "California Knock-down" you can
see a picture of what I want here
http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

I need any information you can provide or possible some of the
questions answered.

1) What should the consistancy of the mud be? Thickness?
2) What orfice size should I use on the hopper.
3) What pressure (Psi/cfm)?
4) What distance do I spray from?
5) How long is the dry time before I try and Knock down the
sprayed mud?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

HotRod wrote:
THANKS that helps a lot. I may give it a shot on a wall or other area first

One thing I forgot to mention was that I always find a buddy or
girlfriend or wife anybody to do a couple of things. 1 -- pour the
mixed mud while you hold the hopper. It's a messy task. 2 -- they can
keep the hose out of way while you're moving about. 3 -- set them up
with a halogen work light, and have them follow you around, shining the
light from behind you to the wall or ceiling. It really helps to
evaluate the uniformity texture, and takes the natural shadows out of
play.

Good luck...

DAC

Posted to alt.home.repair

THANKS, this should be enough for me to take a shot at doing these ceilings.
I'll post back when I'm finished on how it turned out. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Will do. I'd bring my girlfriend with but that might bother my wife :-) , I
might have to settle for a friend.