Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Testing home water

I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

Try your county services they might do it for free or a small handling
charge.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

Try your county services they might do it for free or a small handling
charge.

Rich

Thanks, but I want to avoid having it done by any county service. My
local county government cannot be trusted which is why I'd rather test
the water myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

send it to an independent lab. I kow of no "kit" that will test for lead,
mercury, fecal, etc etc etc
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...

Rich wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

Try your county services they might do it for free or a small handling
charge.

Rich

Thanks, but I want to avoid having it done by any county service. My
local county government cannot be trusted which is why I'd rather test
the water myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob kater wrote:

I kow of no "kit" that will test for lead,
mercury, fecal, etc etc etc

Menard's carries home water test kits. There are separate test kits
for lead, bacteria, pesticides, etc. They run about 10 bucks each.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:

I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.

What do you mean, "there was recently a problem with it"??

Did it turn green? Did it smell like sewage? Did it have chunks of
goo in it? What?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

There are many home test kits for $15 or so, but they don't get everything.
You need a professional lab to be sure. You don't want to fool around with
contaminated water that can make you sick or kill you. There are plenty of
good labs around.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

I just recently had mine done by a company in my area when I purchased
my home. The NORMAL tests ran me about $120. I had additional tests
done so it was quite a bit more.

I got the recommendation from a neighbor who was a realtor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

You can test for hardness. Your can test for some elements and minerals
(iron, phosphates, etc.)

Unless you have a moderately well-equipped laboratory you cannot test for
organisims (E-coli, parasites, etc.) or the products of living things (e.g.,
fecal contamination)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
"Mike S." wrote:

I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

I test my spring water all the time, it's easy. I just put a mark 2" up
on a stick (I use a piece of chiggerweed) and stick it into the spring.
If the water moccasin that lives there bites off 2" then he must be
healthy and the water must be OK

--
Free men own guns - www.geocities/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rich wrote:
"Mike S." wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to get my water analyzed to make sure it's ok to drink as
there was recently a problem with it.I'd like to try testing it myself
but I know I need a special kit. Does anyone know how or where I could
get one of these kits?

Try your county services they might do it for free or a small handling
charge.

Rich

Thanks, but I want to avoid having it done by any county service. My
local county government cannot be trusted which is why I'd rather test
the water myself.

You can't really do an adequate well scan yourself,
although there are some specific things you can test for.
If you know what you're looking for, you can order
a test kit online. What was problem that you
recently had with it?

Still, it would be better to find a private testing
company in your area that where you can have
samples tested every year or two. There's got
to be one. Look in the phone book of the nearest
large municipality.