Posted to alt.home.repair

Default arg, grout sealer mess

I'm new to this here home repair/home owning thing and even though I'm
having a great time with it, I'm making lots of mistakes. I sealed the
grout in my bathroom floor tiles last night. I sponged it on and all
was great, but I didn't clean up very well as I thought I could do it
later (stupid me) and I think there's just grout sealant everywhere on
the glazed tiles. Am I hosed? The bottle claims I can use paint
thinner for clean up but it's probably too late as it's dried and and
will the paint thinner ruin the glaze on the tile?

Live and learn!! and thanks everyone!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stu Stu is offline

Ham Sulu wrote:
I'm new to this here home repair/home owning thing and even though I'm
having a great time with it, I'm making lots of mistakes. I sealed the
grout in my bathroom floor tiles last night. I sponged it on and all
was great, but I didn't clean up very well as I thought I could do it
later (stupid me) and I think there's just grout sealant everywhere on
the glazed tiles. Am I hosed? The bottle claims I can use paint
thinner for clean up but it's probably too late as it's dried and and
will the paint thinner ruin the glaze on the tile?

Live and learn!! and thanks everyone!

Hi Ham Sulu, If you use the thinners it shouldn't ruin the glaze as
that would have been fired on when they were made. Best to try on a
small area that it not so noticable first. If you have to rub I would
try a sponge type scourer, but use one that is not brand new and will
be a bit kinder to the surface. I have seen worse as a friend used the
hardened grout for stone floor tiles and was a right pig to get off. He
did manage it but took ages. Take your time and should be ok. Best of
luck.

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ham Sulu wrote:
I'm new to this here home repair/home owning thing and even though I'm
having a great time with it, I'm making lots of mistakes. I sealed the
grout in my bathroom floor tiles last night. I sponged it on and all
was great, but I didn't clean up very well as I thought I could do it
later (stupid me) and I think there's just grout sealant everywhere on
the glazed tiles. Am I hosed? The bottle claims I can use paint
thinner for clean up but it's probably too late as it's dried and and
will the paint thinner ruin the glaze on the tile?

Live and learn!! and thanks everyone!

I had a problem like this with a shower floor. Eventually it just
faded/washed away. At any rate I complained to manufacturer who not
only refunded price but gave me a few dollars for my trouble. They
were very nice about it as they were a reputable company and were
marketing someone else's product which I assume they no longer do.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ham Sulu wrote:
paint thinner ruin the glaze on the tile?

Live and learn!! and thanks everyone!

i've used sealers that go on grout and tile (not just the grout)

how does it look?

just leave it down

damn some flammable liquid f l o a t i n g through the house
the headache the smell

don't put no turpentine on the bath floor juss leave it

is that seale also for tile? check it out
some sealers are for tile too

Posted to alt.home.repair

we goofed this one up also the first time we did tile, over time it wil
simply wear away from the tile if it is a glossy finish. some thinner
will still work just fine for up to a few weeks after the sealer goes
down.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Ham Sulu wrote:
I'm new to this here home repair/home owning thing and even though I'm
having a great time with it, I'm making lots of mistakes. I sealed the
grout in my bathroom floor tiles last night. I sponged it on and all
was great, but I didn't clean up very well as I thought I could do it
later (stupid me) and I think there's just grout sealant everywhere on
the glazed tiles. Am I hosed? The bottle claims I can use paint
thinner for clean up but it's probably too late as it's dried and and
will the paint thinner ruin the glaze on the tile?

Live and learn!! and thanks everyone!

floor grout -- why did I make such a mess? Mike Home Repair 6 June 28th 06 05:46 AM
Grout Sealer Sawdusty Home Repair 4 April 29th 06 10:25 AM
Sealing porcelain tiles with Lithofin grout sealer [email protected] UK diy 0 February 6th 06 11:55 AM
what type of grout sealer to use Kim E Home Repair 6 February 6th 06 06:18 AM
does grout sealer make grout waterproof? bob Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 03:53 AM