Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumming nightmare

The kitchen and bathroom share a wall. The drain beneath the kitchen sink
(double sink; one side with disposal and dishwasher) goes into the wall it
shares with the shower. When we run the sink (especially with the disposal
on), the filthy water comes up from the drain in the tub.

The tub drains mostly fine, though it has had it's problems in the past.
But the dishwasher doesn't clean as well as it should, and I wonder if it's
backing up inside.

I have tried running a hand-crank snake down the tub, but this hasn't helped
much except to make the tub drain better.

--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida

Posted to alt.home.repair

The kitchen and bathroom share a wall. The drain beneath the kitchen
sink (double sink; one side with disposal and dishwasher) goes into
the wall it shares with the shower. When we run the sink (especially
with the disposal on), the filthy water comes up from the drain in the
tub.
The tub drains mostly fine, though it has had it's problems in the
past. But the dishwasher doesn't clean as well as it should, and I
wonder if it's backing up inside.
I have tried running a hand-crank snake down the tub, but this hasn't
helped much except to make the tub drain better.

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HerHusband" wrote in message

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves from
a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches in your
vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news9BPg.1173$HZ5.161@trndny08...

"HerHusband" wrote in message

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves
from a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches
in your vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

Hey...he's from down South, where they have Nookular power plants.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news9BPg.1173$HZ5.161@trndny08...

"HerHusband" wrote in message

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves
from a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches
in your vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

Hey...he's from down South, where they have Nookular power plants.

Hey, I'm from down South. What's this plumbing stuff yall are talkin'
bout?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HerHusband" wrote in message
If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves from
a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches in your
vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

You should have kept it going and said he needs to hire a "plummer". ;-)

When the toilet is flushed does it bubble, or maybe suck air thru the
tub drain? (that would indicate that the vent is clogged). This sounds
more like a common drain line is clogged.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:03:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news9BPg.1173$HZ5.161@trndny08...

"HerHusband" wrote in message

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves
from a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches
in your vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

Hey...he's from down South, where they have Nookular power plants.

When a noolecule... (I forget the rest)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Of course I mean "plumbing".

--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida

"Dana John Hill" wrote in message
The kitchen and bathroom share a wall. The drain beneath the kitchen sink
(double sink; one side with disposal and dishwasher) goes into the wall it
shares with the shower. When we run the sink (especially with the
disposal on), the filthy water comes up from the drain in the tub.

The tub drains mostly fine, though it has had it's problems in the past.
But the dishwasher doesn't clean as well as it should, and I wonder if
it's backing up inside.

I have tried running a hand-crank snake down the tub, but this hasn't
helped much except to make the tub drain better.

--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida
www.danajohnhill.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Sep 2006 11:13:46 -0700, "Brian Attwood"
wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news9BPg.1173$HZ5.161@trndny08...

"HerHusband" wrote in message

If you've already cleaned the drains, I'd take a look at the roof vent.
Since the kitchen and bath share a wall, I'm guessing they share a roof
vent too. If the vent is plugged, none of the fixtures are going to drain
all that well.

Anthony

He said it was a plumming problems so maybe some of the plums or leaves
from a plum tree got in there. If you get plums, nectarines, or peaches
in your vent a plumbing problem can result and a plumber can help.

Hey...he's from down South, where they have Nookular power plants.

Hey, I'm from down South. What's this plumbing stuff yall are talkin'
bout?

"American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!"

(from a long line of gentle breading)
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dana John Hill" wrote in message
Of course I mean "plumbing".

Sum times the spell chequer does not work. automatically when you hit the
send button.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:55:33 -0400, "Dana John Hill"
wrote:

Of course I mean "plumbing".

Check the vent pipe, make sure the disposal drain pipe is positioned
correctly, for the dishwasher (machine) check the overflow vent and
position of the hoses under the sink.

Go Gators !!
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dana John Hill wrote:
The kitchen and bathroom share a wall. The drain beneath the kitchen sink
(double sink; one side with disposal and dishwasher) goes into the wall it
shares with the shower. When we run the sink (especially with the disposal
on), the filthy water comes up from the drain in the tub.

The tub drains mostly fine, though it has had it's problems in the past.
But the dishwasher doesn't clean as well as it should, and I wonder if it's
backing up inside.

I have tried running a hand-crank snake down the tub, but this hasn't helped
much except to make the tub drain better.

--

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida
www.danajohnhill.org

The vent may be the problem as others have said but I suspect you have
a partially clogged drain. The hand-crank snake improved the tub drain
somewhat so...
Whatever is causing your poor drainage problem is most likely also
causing the poor dishwasher performance.

By all means check the vent first, cheapest and easiest, but prepare
for a rotorooter job.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Sep 2006 19:19:35 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

Dana John Hill wrote:
[...]

Septic or city sewer?
Could be a sewer pipe is partially clogged (for either), or your
septic (if you have one) is filled and needs to be pumped.