Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position

Old September 17th 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position

Our Lay-Z-boy recliner, which is extra-tall, and made in Monroe,
Michigan, is stuck in the upright position. I mean the foot mechanism
will not got down. I have turned the chair on its side and have looked
and looked and can't find where it it stuck at. Has this every happened
to anyone? Any idea what usually goes wrong in these cases? I have
called Lay-Z-boy and did not a definitive solution. So our Lay-Z-boy
remains in the up position all the time, which is very difficult to get
in and out of. The extension part for the extra length is okay, that
part does retract, but still can't put the chair mechanism down.
Thanks! John

Old September 17th 06, 10:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

This post surprised me. I just had the same problem. Amazingly I
sprayed WD40 everywhere underneath and it has worked fine ever since.
Try it.

Jethro.
Old September 18th 06, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If the WD40 doesn't fix it, you can always try duck tape :)

Not sure if your chair is anything like mine, but if you can't see
anything stuck the problem is probably elecrical, not mechanical. The
remote is the first thing that comes to mind: the button that moves the
leg rest could be dirty or malfunctioning.

Does the leg rest part even tries to move? If yes, then something could
be actually stuck, but if doesn't I would check the electrical
connections underneath. Mine has a couple of wires that can be
unplugged or worse cut off if caught in between metal.

Hope this helps some. BTW shame on Lay-Z-boy for leaving you hanging .
They should do and know better. Good luck

wrote

Old September 18th 06, 04:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Jethro wrote in
:

This post surprised me. I just had the same problem. Amazingly I
sprayed WD40 everywhere underneath and it has worked fine ever since.
Try it.

Jethro.

Must be nice sitting in it eating a sandwich. Like clearance scented
candles :-)

Better stick to stinky lunchmeat or garlic spam for a while.
Old September 20th 06, 11:20 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Isn't the mechansim guaranteed forever?

So the salesman will say over and over, but when you make a claim they will
tell you it is only for manufacturing defects, not for wear ----- useless
warranty, all hype with no protection.

ps.com...

Old September 21st 06, 12:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair

It happened to me ...it was a little wire about 8 inches long connecting two
pieces together we went to a furniture store where we bought our sofa and
the saleman gave us a new one from a supply he keeps on hand. Hope this
helps...

CathyLee

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
Isn't the mechansim guaranteed forever?

So the salesman will say over and over, but when you make a claim they
will tell you it is only for manufacturing defects, not for wear -----
useless warranty, all hype with no protection.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Our Lay-Z-boy recliner, which is extra-tall, and made in Monroe,
Michigan, is stuck in the upright position. I mean the foot mechanism
will not got down. I have turned the chair on its side and have looked
and looked and can't find where it it stuck at. Has this every happened
to anyone? Any idea what usually goes wrong in these cases? I have
called Lay-Z-boy and did not a definitive solution. So our Lay-Z-boy
remains in the up position all the time, which is very difficult to get
in and out of. The extension part for the extra length is okay, that
part does retract, but still can't put the chair mechanism down.
Thanks! John

ONLY 6 DOLLARS [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 17th 06 01:53 AM
ONLY 6 DOLLARS [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 16th 06 10:06 PM
ONLY 6 DOLLARS!!! [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 16th 06 10:04 PM
ONLY 6 DOLLARS!!! DAN Woodworking 0 April 16th 06 09:40 PM
DeWalt Drill Chuck Stuck in Open Position Jim Wheeler Woodworking 2 May 7th 05 10:21 PM