Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How common is wrapping devices with elec tape.

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Tekkie®, Iggy wrote:
Unfortunately and unbelievably, it's not common at all, outside of my work
I've never seen it. I've done it since this century and had numerous
electricians compliment the practice and state what a great idea it is,
regardless of metal or plastic box. Much safer for everyone and even another,
although slight, wire retainer.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1149081-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 15:06:55 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

IDK, but have seen the method suggested for older metal boxes. That
would make some sense, at least to me, I guess and I forget :-)

Plastic boxes not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

I know guys who have to remove that gummy crap later are not so
thrilled and I have never seen it done by a professional. I suppose
they know I might want it unwrapped so I could inspect the terminals
if it was.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

Was it the April 1 edition of the DIY video ?

.. or Bubba-Jim-Bob's Discount DIY Implorium's
latest promotion - F R EE - did I say FREE

" DIY Electrical DVD with any purchase."

... not to be confused with the free
" Root-Canal-At-Home-For-Beginners "
... on 8-track cassette or DVD.

John T. I miss Billy Van

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

IDK, but have seen the method suggested for older metal boxes. That
would make some sense, at least to me, I guess and I forget :-)

Plastic boxes not so much.

It helps careless guys to not short devices to ground or grab a live
wire shoving the device into the box, but real electricians don't do
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2017 3:06 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

Probably more common in the south.Â* It would definitely be a red flag that an idiot had wired the building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2017 05:46 PM, Bubba wrote:

It would definitely be a red flag that an idiot had wired the building.

Maybe using the tape to eliminate the need to get the wires under the
screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/30/2017 6:54 PM, notX wrote:
On 10/30/2017 05:46 PM, Bubba wrote:

It would definitely be a red flag that an idiot had wired the building.

Maybe using the tape to eliminate the need to get the wires under the screws.

ROFLMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was watching the great fount of knowledge U tube and one electrical guy
said to always wrap the devices - switches / receptacles with tape before
mounting them in the box. My lame question is how common is this?

I know guys who have to remove that gummy crap later are not so
thrilled and I have never seen it done by a professional. I suppose
they know I might want it unwrapped so I could inspect the terminals
if it was.

I've never seen 3M 33+ electrical tape turn gummy. I've seen cheap electrical tape turn gummy right off the roll. We called it Jap-wrap years ago but now I think Chink-wrap would be the new designation. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gummy Monster