Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old sliding glass door.....

In my condo I have a large older aluminum sliding glass door. The
rubber seals that integrate with the sliding portion are way past there
prime. The door lets drafts in very badly. The majority of the problem
seems to be with the sliding portion where it meets the latch side.
Without replacing this door which would be expensive, is there anything
I can do to seal up the door when its closed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
In my condo I have a large older aluminum sliding glass door. The
rubber seals that integrate with the sliding portion are way past there
prime. The door lets drafts in very badly. The majority of the problem
seems to be with the sliding portion where it meets the latch side.
Without replacing this door which would be expensive, is there anything
I can do to seal up the door when its closed?

Do you know brand of door? If so lot of Building Supply and hardware
stores carry replacement seals for such. If you have and old time
hardware store around try there they usually know more than Home Depot.
Every town of any size usually has a hardware store that is known to
always have what no one else does. Find that store in your town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
In my condo I have a large older aluminum sliding glass door. The
rubber seals that integrate with the sliding portion are way past there
prime. The door lets drafts in very badly. The majority of the problem
seems to be with the sliding portion where it meets the latch side.
Without replacing this door which would be expensive, is there anything
I can do to seal up the door when its closed?

If you live in a very cold climate, you can save a lot of energy with a new
wood framed door.

Some home centers do sell the replacement strip for the doors. Can you
easily see it and maybe get a piece of it without removing the door? If so,
take a sample with you for comparison.