Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fireplace chimney etc design questions

I am pondering adding a wood burning fireplace in my living room, which
is a cathedral ceiling, with a 2x12 construction floor.

First question: ever seen custom zero clearance fireplaces? It would
eliminate the need to bash a huge hole in the floor and pour a footing.

Second question, if I am forced by esthetics to go totally masonry, has
anyone experimented with thermal breaks, above or below? I find little
discussion about this on the web, and it would seem a major source of
heatloss. I imagine the chimney could be steel even on a masonry
fireplace, making it easier. The base could be insulated to some extent,
but I was thinking with the fairly short height to the floor[~3 feet
from the ground to the floor surface] one could pour a footing and
support the fireplace structure on heavy steel columns, cutting the
thermal exposure to a fraction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

yourname wrote:
snip decent idea

BUT why do all that, just get some gas logs

you want the brick for aestetics?

i can understand that

i like those free standing gas pits...
you can walk around them on all sides

you've seen'em..
for the cost of all that masonry you could get on helluva free standing
ventless deal

OR vent it

Posted to alt.home.repair

yourname spake thus:

I am pondering adding a wood burning fireplace in my living room, which
is a cathedral ceiling, with a 2x12 construction floor.

First question: ever seen custom zero clearance fireplaces? It would
eliminate the need to bash a huge hole in the floor and pour a footing.

Second question, if I am forced by esthetics to go totally masonry, has
anyone experimented with thermal breaks, above or below? I find little
discussion about this on the web, and it would seem a major source of
heatloss.

Yes, it would, wouldn't it?

To me, the question is a little absurd: fireplaces, in general, ARE
heat-losing devices. Most of it goes up the flue. I'd forget about it
altogether if you're actually interested in heating the space, unless
you're thinking about installing some kind of heat exchanger there. If
you like to burn stuff, get an airtight stove instead.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Posted to alt.home.repair

a gas fireplace woul dbe perfect for this sort of instalation, and no
firewood to maintain.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

yourname wrote:
I am pondering adding a wood burning fireplace in my living room, which
is a cathedral ceiling, with a 2x12 construction floor.

First question: ever seen custom zero clearance fireplaces? It would
eliminate the need to bash a huge hole in the floor and pour a footing.

Second question, if I am forced by esthetics to go totally masonry, has
anyone experimented with thermal breaks, above or below? I find little
discussion about this on the web, and it would seem a major source of
heatloss. I imagine the chimney could be steel even on a masonry
fireplace, making it easier. The base could be insulated to some extent,
but I was thinking with the fairly short height to the floor[~3 feet
from the ground to the floor surface] one could pour a footing and
support the fireplace structure on heavy steel columns, cutting the
thermal exposure to a fraction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yourname wrote:

I am pondering adding a wood burning fireplace in my living room, which
is a cathedral ceiling, with a 2x12 construction floor.

First question: ever seen custom zero clearance fireplaces? It would
eliminate the need to bash a huge hole in the floor and pour a footing.

Second question, if I am forced by esthetics to go totally masonry, has
anyone experimented with thermal breaks, above or below? I find little
discussion about this on the web, and it would seem a major source of
heatloss. I imagine the chimney could be steel even on a masonry
fireplace, making it easier. The base could be insulated to some extent,
but I was thinking with the fairly short height to the floor[~3 feet
from the ground to the floor surface] one could pour a footing and
support the fireplace structure on heavy steel columns, cutting the
thermal exposure to a fraction.

I suppose if I were interested in gas fireplaces[have one in another
room] or wood stoves, I would be asking about them

Posted to alt.home.repair

I suppose if I were interested in gas fireplaces[have one in another
room] or wood stoves, I would be asking about them

as long as you are prepared to spend boatloads of bucks you will be
fine.

start by installing a proper foundation at the location of the planned
fireplace, includeing footer.

i looked into this once for a simple fireplace about 25 grand...

had better ways to spend the bucks and it would never be recovered at
home sale time

Chimney Question Rob Gray Home Repair 1 October 21st 04 04:16 AM
Leadscrew design questions for mill retrofit Pete Bergstrom Metalworking 8 August 5th 04 06:10 PM
Anyone use CAD software to design projects? Michael Press Woodworking 118 April 9th 04 03:08 AM
Chimney cap question Susan Home Repair 8 July 29th 03 09:20 PM