Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sekking recomendationd about electrician apprenticeships

I have been turned down by the IBEW for their electrician
apprenticeship.

Are there other apprenticeships, sponsored by trade unions or not, that
people here can recommend for someone who is interested in learning the
electrician trade?

Do I have to start worrying about age discrimination at 32 for this
field?

Brian Ghilliotti

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have been turned down by the IBEW for their electrician
apprenticeship.

Are there other apprenticeships, sponsored by trade unions or not, that
people here can recommend for someone who is interested in learning the
electrician trade?

Do I have to start worrying about age discrimination at 32 for this
field?

Brian Ghilliotti

I don't know of any other apprenticeship programs, but it is possible to pay
your way through trade school and get a job with a non-union electrical
contractor. It is also possible to get a Workforce Development Grant to pay
for school if you are changing careers. You won't have to pay the money
back and you can collect unemployment (If eligible) while going to school.
Do a search for your state to find out what agency is giving out the grants.

You could try getting a job with a wholesale electrical supply company. You
would learn about the materials used in the trade and you would meet a lot
of contractors.

I wouldn't worry too much about age discrimination, but working as an
electrician is a physically demanding job. Contractors like workers who can
perform quickly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

32 is not to old, I was 30 when I started in the IBEW apprenticeship, there
were two guys older than me and there was one a couple years ahead of me
that was 50 when he started. Ask why you were not accepted. If it was
because there were more qualified applicants than they had positions for,
you can try again next year. If you couldn't pass the apptitude test,
then study. Be careful with the IEC program they don't measure up!!