Amarr vs Clopay garage door

Old September 13th 06, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Amarr vs Clopay garage door

How do Amarr garage doors (aka ReliaBilt, sold by Lowes) compare with
Clopay (aka Holmes, sold by Home Depot)?
Amarr's website says they have "true 24 gauge" steel, but does that
apply to their ReliaBilt brand name? Is Clopay "nominal" or true 24
gauge?

Old September 13th 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They
make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell
it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits
over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

ups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair

I got a hold of Amarr and Clopay cust svc.
Clopay (Holmes/Home Depot) says their's is a nominal steel gauge rating
while Amarr (ReliaBilt/Lowe's) says theirs is a true gauge. I'm still
not sure how much difference that makes. I've searched the web a bit,
but if it were really that important I would expect there to be a lot
more info explaining it.

Art wrote:
Check your phone book to see if Wayne Dalton store is in your area. They
make superior doors. Lowes may carry them but in my experience WD will sell
it installed cheaper than Lowes. Also they have a neat opener that fits
over the door instead of needing a track across the ceiling.

ups.com...

Old September 14th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
I got a hold of Amarr and Clopay cust svc.
Clopay (Holmes/Home Depot) says their's is a nominal steel gauge rating
while Amarr (ReliaBilt/Lowe's) says theirs is a true gauge. I'm still
not sure how much difference that makes. I've searched the web a bit,
but if it were really that important I would expect there to be a lot
more info explaining it.

Doubt it makes any difference as you can be talking thousandths of an inch
difference. The thickness of the steel is a factor, but much more important
is what you do with it, how you form it, how you paint it, and how well the
hardware fits and works.