Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Dan is offline

Default Clean Oven Glass?

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

Razor blade scraper. Stovetop cleaner might work. Don't use Fantastic
or green 3M pads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace
windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades
until clean.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:43:12 GMT, Dan wrote:

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

My mother ruined a toaster oven trying to clean it. Here's what you
can do:

Carefully remove the glass, spray it (outside) with oven cleaner
standing upwind, wait 15 minutes, brush using a toothbrush, then rinse
with cold water. Repeat the procedure if needed. Wear rubber gloves,
old clothing, and eye-protection. Do not attempt to use oven cleaner
inside the toaster oven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:43:12 GMT, Dan wrote:

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

I'd like to caution against using a razor blade (or anything harder
than glass). You can scratch the glass which makes it more difficult
to clean later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace
windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades
until clean.
Frank

Why? You are more likely to etch glass with an
acid than a base. Easy Off is sodium hydroxide in
a foam and it doesn't hurt glass. I always use
Easy Off to clean fireplace glass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Frank wrote:
Jim McLaughlin wrote:
Dan wrote:
Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan
Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace
windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades
until clean.
Frank

Why? You are more likely to etch glass with an
acid than a base. Easy Off is sodium hydroxide in
a foam and it doesn't hurt glass. I always use
Easy Off to clean fireplace glass.

Strong caustics etch glass. Acids (except HF) do not. You can get
away with using with short contact times, making sure you wash all the
caustic off. BTW, one drop of caustic in your eye could blind you.
Make sure you use eye and skin protection when using.

Also, I've never had a problem with careful use of razor blade although
I would not use one on window glass.

Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan,

Bon Ami won't scratch the glass and will remove this baked on crud.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

Dan wrote:

Hi,

I have a toaster oven with baked on grease on the glass door. I tried
soaking a piece of paper towel in Ammonia and placing it over the grease
stains overnight, but it did nothing. What next?

Thanks,
Dan

Its an oven. Easy Off type foam spray oven cleaner.

You don't want to use strong caustic on glass. I clean my fireplace
windows by taking outside, and alternate Windex, hose and razor blades
until clean.
Frank

Horsepucky. Been doing it without any problem for 30 or more years on
a toaster oven;
an oven; a wood stove, and glass fireplace screens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Horsepucky. Been doing it without any problem for 30 or more years on
a toaster oven;
an oven; a wood stove, and glass fireplace screens.

Interesting. I would have thought that using horsepucky would make the
glass even dirtier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd like to caution against using a razor blade (or anything harder
than glass). You can scratch the glass which makes it more difficult
to clean later.

Since when is a razor blade harder than glass?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Since when is a razor blade harder than glass?

It's not, but close in hardness.

It's not even close.
Posted to alt.home.repair

S.O.S. pad works great.